Sign in to follow this  
apocracy

gigabit only connecting as 100mbps

my gigabit ethernet is only connecting at 100mbps, i am using a gigabit switch and my ps3 is connecting at full gigabit speed so i am pretty sure thats in working order. at first i though it was because of my overclock but i reverted every thing to stock and its sill only running 100mbps. i tried to uninstall network connection and reinstall but its just more of the same, any ideas on what i should do?

edit* its intergrated net work on asus m2n-e

Edited by apocracy

Whats color is the link light on the back of the nic? Most gig-e nics have a multi colored light that changes whether the connection is 100 meg or gig-e. Look in the manual to see if it tells you what color it should be. If the light indicates its only 100 meg it might be a cableing problem.

Also you could try plugging in your computer where your ps3 is plugged in a visa-versa and see if the connection speed changes on either of them.

You will most likely have to set the nic settings to gigabit speed manually rather than having it on auto.

yup, Giga half-duplex or full-duplex, ensure you have a Cat6 cable too

do you have nVidia *and* Marvell NIC ports? if so, try the other one

i've tried changing ports, 2 different cat 6 cables and still it shows as 100mbps. i've tried chaning the speed settings though the network connections but all that are avalible are 10, 100 in both full and half duplex and autonegotiantion. both windows and indicator lights say 100mbps. wondering if i changed some bios setting i can't seem to find now by mistake or if nic is just messing up.

oh yea it used to run 1000mbps just fine too

Edited by apocracy

did you update/reinstall the NIC drivers (with the wrong ones, causing it to lose Gigabit capability)?