new router

lost

i think its time for an upgrade on the home router. whenever my cousin plays on the wireless, be complains that he hits random lag spikes now and then, so he's going to ask his dad to get a new router and usb adapters for the wireless computers. any good ones to pick from? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....mp;N=2002810145 sometimes there can be as many as 6 computers plugged in (about 5 wireless, and 3 laptops have already belt in wireless cards)

I wouldn't get one of the linksys wrt54g's. i have 2 and I keep having to power cycle mine. Oh and those usb wifi adapters are not as good as real ones, in my opinion. For laptops I would get a pcmcia card thingy, they have seemed to be much more reliable to me.

I wouldn't get one of the linksys wrt54g's. i have 2 and I keep having to power cycle mine. Oh and those usb wifi adapters are not as good as real ones, in my opinion. For laptops I would get a pcmcia card thingy, they have seemed to be much more reliable to me.

the usb adapters r for desktops.

*agrees with schwag*

i've been extremely pleased with my buffalo wzr2-g300n router. full coverage through my 2500 sq ft house.

never really heard of those. but i should look into it. but i was learning towards the one bleeble posted

The DIR-655 is a good choice if you want Wireless-N. Otherwise I'd suggest a DGL-4300 because it's an awesome gaming/torrenting router. *glances at ancient Wireless-B router* :lol:

i was actually leaning towards that.. my ancient wireless-b isn't cutting it anymore :| its like 4 years old O_o two questions

1) what usb adapter should go well with that?

2) my old netgear usb adapters should work with that right?

Edited by lost

i was actually leaning towards that.. my ancient wireless-b isn't cutting it anymore :| its like 4 years old O_o two questions

1) what usb adapter should go well with that?

2) my old netgear usb adapters should work with that right?

Any wireless device (USB, PCI, built-in, etc) should work with any wireless network. But I'm curious, why do you only want USB adapters?

Which of the two routers were you looking at?

Any wireless device (USB, PCI, built-in, etc) should work with any wireless network. But I'm curious, why do you only want USB adapters?

Which of the two routers were you looking at?

well for the desktop on the 2nd floor. i don't want to take wire out my window. so usb adapter was the only option

the d-link gaming router.

The DIR-655 is a good choice if you want Wireless-N. Otherwise I'd suggest a DGL-4300 because it's an awesome gaming/torrenting router. *glances at ancient Wireless-B router* :lol:

:withstupid:

I have the DIR-655 and it does a great job. I have all four Ethernet ports filled along with four wireless computers, two iPhones, and my Nintendo Wii, for a grand total of eleven devices connected most of the time. I don't experience any lag spikes even when my brother is playing a game on Xbox Live while I'm downloading torrents, and my dad is streaming video, all on top of the regular browsing everybody else is doing. When transferring large files across the network, again, no lag on either the transfer or on any other machine.

And yes, USB adapters work really well with it. I had a Linksys 802.11g USB adapter hooked up to my desktop PC and it worked like a champ. Got great torrent speeds and had some pretty good pings when it came to online gaming. If the adapter were 802.11n, then I'm sure it would have been even better :P

To summarize, it's well worth the money. If the USB port was actually useful for printers or external hard drives, then it would be the best router ever.

:withstupid: Once my good ol' D-Link dies, I'll be picking up the DIR-655 or the hopefully-soon-to-be-released DIR-855.

well for the desktop on the 2nd floor. i don't want to take wire out my window. so usb adapter was the only option

the d-link gaming router.

Well, I meant "why do you want USB instead of PCI?" There's really not any significant difference that I'm aware of, but I was just curious. :)

Well, I meant "why do you want USB instead of PCI?" There's really not any significant difference that I'm aware of, but I was just curious. :)

There is. It is the difference between an internal and an external antenna. Though if you are always in close proximity, then its probably not a big deal then. Oh and I have seen a few USB ones tend to overheat and the connection to become unreliable (I assume they overheated, felt quite warm). But, that doesn't mean all of them will do that.