2 HD 3850's or 1 HD 3870 ?

philbrown23

well I have about 300 bucks in b-day $$ and I think I want to try out ATI. My question is what would be better, 2 HD3850's or 1 HD 3870 ? I was going to get the 8800gt but there are none in stock unless I want to pay and then wait 20 days or so for it to get shipped, and no way am I doing that.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The conventional wisdom, around here at least, is to get the one biggest, fastest card you can afford. Dual card rigs, sli or crossfire, are awesome when they work. I have had 2 sli rigs over the last 2 years, and both times I was pretty underwhelmed. With the right drivers, and the right game, and the right cards, dual card setups are impressive. The problem is that by the time all of the sli glitches are solved for a given game, I don't want to play that game anymore. I haven't had a crossfire rig, so I can't speak to that, but I can tell you that every time this question comes up, most people opt for the one, bigger, faster card.

no I think I'll listen th the wisdom this time and save my $$ for an intel rig. thanks. :)

quoted. only so I can remind you next time. :P

The way I look at my computer, is mine is obsolete, no point in upgrading, but it would make a kick-but file server and firewall when I build myself a new compy. This helps me not spend any money on mine, no point in having a nice graphics card in a server.... and all I would have to do is add a big hard drive, it already has 2 nics. Anyways, thats how I keep myself from buying new hardware.

quoted. only so I can remind you next time. :P

The way I look at my computer, is mine is obsolete, no point in upgrading, but it would make a kick-but file server and firewall when I build myself a new compy. This helps me not spend any money on mine, no point in having a nice graphics card in a server.... and all I would have to do is add a big hard drive, it already has 2 nics. Anyways, thats how I keep myself from buying new hardware.

:lol: So true ;) What are your rig specs anyways?

My rig was born obsolete. It's a dell. [email protected], 1gig ram (single channel ddr-333), radeon 9200, 80+40gig hard drives (ata100), and my pride and joy a lite-on dvd burner. I got it for college 4.5 years ago, I'll be building a new rig sometime in the next year, after I get my new career. Which I will be posting about hopefully later this week. ;)

edit: you know your graphics card is old when the most recent drivers for it are legacy drivers which come with every current linux distro....

Might be a 1.4ghz williamette :ph34r:

But I agree, the best choice would be to save for a new rig. You'll have a good rig now, but down the road when you need to upgrade, you'll have to buy a whole new system. It's not like a 7950 GT is that much of a crappy card.