air flow direction?

ghot

i have a generic (extra long) mid tower case.... it has 5 fan locations (all 80mm) 2 in front, 2 in back, and one in the side (slightly above 6800 vid card).

My comp is to my right and behind it is a window, that in winter, lets in cold air and in summer has A/C unit in it.

In MY situation would it be better to suck air in the back, blow out the side and front?

OR even though the above, seems a good idea, should I just suck in the front and side and blow out the back?

I want to over clock a little, and keep the temps down. I also dont want to replace the stock HSF.

Hot air rises, as you know, so If you are going to try this I would definitely recommend a blowhole on top. Otherwise the hot air in the case may just rest at the top slowly creeping downwards. but try it out and check the temps, thats the only way to know for sure.

currently with it sucking in the back and blowing out the side and front i get these temps from the BIOS:

26C Motherboard

46C CPU

Machine is NOT OC'd at the moment.

The front fans are hard to get to...thats why Im asking here rather than just trying diff combos

Edited by ghot

currently with it sucking in the back and blowing out the side and front i get these temps from the BIOS:

26C Motherboard

46C CPU

Machine is NOT OC'd at the moment.

Is that better or worse than it was before? Oh and make sure to check load temps.

I had overclocked it successfully and still have a record of all the OC'd bios settings BUT i had made a duct from the A/C directly to the back intake fans and had no problems. However, I like to be able to do w/o the ducting. Ive seen hundreds of posts on diff forums about airflow direction etc. Most suggest in the front out the back. Iwas wondering if when I overclocked before...if I had followed the normal in the front out the back system..if I cud have achieved low enuff temps without the A/C duct. Also last time I tried OCing I had a generic 550W crap PSU....now I have a good one. Im not even sure what dangerous CPU temps wud be on an Athlon 2800+ Barton. I cant upgrade till around August 2008 and Id like to play some of the newer games aka Crysis (yes it runs on this comp) albeit at low settings :)

WITH the A/C duct and my sucessful over clock I got these temps in the BIOS:

CPU temps: 39C / 46C

Mobo temps: 26C / 29C

idle / load

So Iguess my questions are:

1. Whats too high for CPU load temp

2. ..which will answer question 2....which will be OH no! Have I overdone it.

Edited by ghot

I'm not sure but I think you want to keep temps below 50C on those chips ideally. The reason for in the front out the back is 2-fold. 1st reason is so that the air cools off your cooler components first, before being heated up by the processor, though this isn't really all that important, look at btx layouts, and you'll see that they ignore this idea, and it works very well for them. The second is so that hot air is extracted at the highest vent in the case, that way you dont have pockets of hot air covering the top 2/3s of the case.

What might work very well for you would be a cpu duct to the side of your case, that would bring in cool ambientair directly on top of your procesor.

oh and there is one danger about running ac into a computer case. condensation.

Yea I know about condesation, that was not a problem tho as the duct from A/C to case back was still 4" away from rear of case.

Sadly Im gathering from ur answer that Im gonna need a Zalman :(

Keep in mind...that winter or summer (with A/C) the coldest ambient air in this 2nd story un-insulated efficiency apartment is about 12" directly behind my comp. I still cant figure out why they dont make mobos with the Hot components at the front as most ppl have thieir systems with the rear ends towards a wall or near a window.

It seems bass-ackwards to me. Especially in the Winter...as i have really cold air at back of comp and relatively warm air at front.