General Question about Nvidia MonitorView

Galgum

So I installed nTune to get a reading on my card's temperature. I have the XFX Geforce 8500gt 512 and I put an 80mm fan on it blowing right at the heatsink, the thing doesn't go above 48c anymore. Well, I made a newb mistake and I mistook the Memory Bus frequency for being half what it advertises, soon enough I found out that DDR2 means double the frequency. In any case, my question is does MonitorView show the temp of just the GPU, or the memory as well? I'd like to know if what I did heated up the memory a great deal.

Thanks

Ok, since no one can answer that question, I have 3 that are easier, or should be:

1. I buffed my card's Core Bus from 500 to 600, and the square turns yellow, no heat issues, when I go over 600 the square turns reds, but still no heat issues. I mounted a 80mm 2500 rpm fan to the heatsink so now it rarely goes above 45c ingame(seriously.). So even if the square is red and the temp is 49 degrees celsius, is it still safe?

2. Why doesn't my nTune allow me to see/alter my voltages? Everything else is available but that.

3. Why does my Chassis fan spin at roughly 1700 rpms when my Power fan and CPU fan spin at their max speeds? Yes, I tried switching the fans, it's consistent with just the Chassis Fan plug.

Thanks for any help

Edited by Galgum

1. Yes

2. nTune sucks for altering stuff, use the bios to change voltages

3. probably because the Chassis fan header voltage is modulated in relation to the case temperature, you might be able to adjust the fan:speed relation in the bios if you have a decent motherboard

1. Yes

2. nTune sucks for altering stuff, use the bios to change voltages

3. probably because the Chassis fan header voltage is modulated in relation to the case temperature, you might be able to adjust the fan:speed relation in the bios if you have a decent motherboard

Thank you for responding! I figured the Chassis Fan was just lower voltage than the rest, but your explanation sounds more correct. My board does have voltage options in the Bios, I was just wondering why nTune didn't show changing it.

Are you sure the whole red-square but still low temp thing is safe? I figured it'd still be putting tons of stress on it, even if the temperature is safe. I figured it'd be like a hose forcing too much water down, just because the water is cool and doesn't melt the hose, the hose could still burst from the pressure. So let me know what you think about that. Thanks again =)

nTune isn't fully compatible with all motherboards, even though they have an nVidia chipset, so the voltage control won't work or be shown... I wouldn't worry about it though, just use the bios voltages instead... you don't really change the voltages that often when overclocking, it's more the FSB and RAM timings, so Clockgen (for FSB) and Memset or A64Tweaker (for RAM timings) are useful for this

increasing the speed of anything doesn't really increase the temperature that much at all, maybe a few degrees, it's when you change the voltages that the temperature changes significantly, so unless you are flashing the GPU bios to increase the graphics card voltage, I wouldn't worry about it... you can use RivaTuner to monitor temperatures while playing fullscreen 3D apps (e.g. games/benchmarks) and then see how the temperature has changed over the course of the last few minutes with a cool graph

nTune isn't fully compatible with all motherboards, even though they have an nVidia chipset, so the voltage control won't work or be shown... I wouldn't worry about it though, just use the bios voltages instead... you don't really change the voltages that often when overclocking, it's more the FSB and RAM timings, so Clockgen (for FSB) and Memset or A64Tweaker (for RAM timings) are useful for this

increasing the speed of anything doesn't really increase the temperature that much at all, maybe a few degrees, it's when you change the voltages that the temperature changes significantly, so unless you are flashing the GPU bios to increase the graphics card voltage, I wouldn't worry about it... you can use RivaTuner to monitor temperatures while playing fullscreen 3D apps (e.g. games/benchmarks) and then see how the temperature has changed over the course of the last few minutes with a cool graph

So the fact that I pushed the 500/667 to 656/912 with very little temperature change means I can push it even further safely?