Sign in to follow this  
shooterkc2007

Gaming/Photoshop RAW Image Rendering System

Hi everyone! I am hoping for some system suggestions for building a sweet Image Rendering/Gaming system that has great oc potential. I am a professional photographer and we have Dell E510's with Pentium D 820 processors and 4GB DDR2 ram. We have decent graphics cards with the MSI RX1650 XT's that power our Samsung 305T monitors, but the speed when processing Raw images is crap. I've always installed/replaced all of my own components, but have never built a system from scratch so I'm a noob. We need something, I think, with serious processing power so that image rendering from Raw to JPG's flies, but we also all play a variety of games after hours in the studio and for a little creative break now and then.

What components from Motherboard to fans, memory, power supply etc, does every here recommend that can be oc'd easily and provide awesome performance for image processing as well as games?

We don't really know where to start although we've been considering these major components:

1. Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping Kentsfield 2.40GHz 8MB L2 LGA 775 Processor

1. GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R Rev. 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

1. Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-12 EPP Ready Dual Channel Kit

As for the case, fans, power supply etc...we have no clue at all. We're hoping to spend about $700-800 on each system as we already have 4 500GB WD Caviar SATA drives that we picked up on sale at MicroCenter a while ago and are ready to go.

We'd like to use our existing graphics cards which are both the MSI ATI RX1650XT's which are Crossfire compatible too.

Thanks so much for your help in advance!!!

Cheers,

ShooterKC2007

2 junk un oc able Dell E510's great for large doorstops or paperweights. They play Doom quite well too :blink:

Welcome to the forums first of all :)

The components you picked out up to now are great choices, all of them. You could save a couple of $$$ by going 4x1GB over 2x2GB, but that only makes a marginal price difference. If you want to OC, 4x1GB will be easier as well. Talking of OCing, you want to get a decent cooler, like the Scythe Infinity or the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme paired with a 120mm fan. PSU wise, I would have a look at the Silverstone ST50F 500W for 70$.

I just noticed you said you wanted to keep the X1650XT video cards, which is fine if you really want to, but you could fit an X1950Pro or HD3850 into that price range as well ;)

Another question is, are you gonna keep using the Dell systems? Because otherwise, you could just steal the RAM from there.

King,

Thanks for the advice. We're hoping to get everything ordered sometime soon so we can build the system and OC it over the holidays.

I think we'll hang onto the Dell's. I wish we could squeeze more out of them but i haven"t found anyone who has oc'd them.

Do you think that the setup I suggested will give our editing some punch? We're hoping to speed up the process when we have 700 40MB files to batch and save, but I'd hate to spend a bunch of money and find out that we're not going to get anymore power because Photoshop CS3 doesn't support more than one thread/core.

Also, do you have a case suggestion that's not too expensive, but has decent cooling? I'd appreciate the advice! I'm happy to be here, I needed an expensive hobby!!!

ShooterKC2007

2 junk un oc able Dell E510's great for large doorstops or paperweights. They play Doom quite well too!

Also, do you have a case suggestion that's not too expensive, but has decent cooling? I'd appreciate the advice! I'm happy to be here, I needed an expensive hobby!!!

If you need a case and a reliable powersupply may I suggest killing two birds with one stone and get an Antec Case which comes with a PSU.

For example the: Antec PERFORMANCE TX TX1050B ATX Mid Tower Case 500W ATX12V v2.0 PSU ~$100 -$150 USD

Man I thought fishing was an expensive hobby, then I found computers lol nice quote!

Edited by CrackHead

i work with raw images alot, only when i get to 740dpi does it slow down. generally working with video and images the more cache the better for the cpu, it does make a big difference.