Sign in to follow this  
rcald2000

Temporary Internet Folder - prevent downloaded file from saving there

I'm not sure that'll do it Clay. I think that just disables File menu >> Open, but still allows something clicked as a download to have the open option.

I'm guess they're using some sort of webmail? If you the ability to modify code in the email system, <meta name="DownloadOptions" content="noopen" /> will remove the open option from the download dialogue.

Yes, it's webmail. The most popular one in the labs is Yahoo Mail, followed by Google, AOL, Hotmail. Matter-a-fact, I just had a student lose their work today because of the same problem (clicking "open", which caused their file to save in the temporary internet folder). Would that code change that you mention work for a webmail program such as Yahoo? Thanks again everyone. The mail program they were using was Yahoo within the Internet Explorer 6 browser.

Edited by rcald2000

I fail to see how clicking "open" causes someone to lose their work. I occasionally do that and then when I'm done editing, I just click save as. Seriously, how hard is it? Even if you don't choose to save it and go to close it, it'll ask you if you want to save changes. I find it hard to believe that any college student can't handle that. Stop helping idiots. You need to let them fail so they can kill themselves before they can reproduce.

I fail to see how clicking "open" causes someone to lose their work. I occasionally do that and then when I'm done editing, I just click save as. Seriously, how hard is it? Even if you don't choose to save it and go to close it, it'll ask you if you want to save changes. I find it hard to believe that any college student can't handle that. Stop helping idiots. You need to let them fail so they can kill themselves before they can reproduce.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post.

I'm still seeking a solution. The problem is that many students don't know of the existence of temporary internet folders. This problem is very common. Matter-a-fact, students always save their work, but are unaware that they are not saving to MyDocuments. Stupidity or not, I'm honestly trying to help people from losing the work that they've invested hours into. I would really appreciate more suggestions.

After looking around for a while I cant find any settings that change this.

It looks to me your best bet might be to disable the open option that way when they click on a link it just automaticaly saves the file to a place they already know. If you set a default location for downloaded files per the guide HERE. It theoreticaly disables the open option.

However thats a per user registry setting, so if you use gpmc to deploy it make sure you put it in user scripts.

There might be a GPO setting for this rather than registry editing, Ill have to check tomorrow at work.

There might be a GPO setting for this rather than registry editing, Ill have to check tomorrow at work.

Thanks, I would really appreciate the help.

Could anyone else figure out another solution? I just had two more students who lost their school work due to this same problem; it's Finals time.

Yes, it's webmail. The most popular one in the labs is Yahoo Mail, followed by Google, AOL, Hotmail. Matter-a-fact, I just had a student lose their work today because of the same problem (clicking "open", which caused their file to save in the temporary internet folder). Would that code change that you mention work for a webmail program such as Yahoo? Thanks again everyone. The mail program they were using was Yahoo within the Internet Explorer 6 browser.

Ok, I figured they were using some university provided webmail system where you might be able to change the html in the site itself. Since they're using other free services that code won't help you.

Did you try the Firefox solution I provided?

Your best solution would be a big sign someplace telling them to save not open...or maybe some startup script that pops up a message and has to be actively closed when they log on to the computer.

If no one around here has come up with another solution, chances are it may not be possible. :ph34r: