Temporary Internet Folder - prevent downloaded file from saving there

rcald2000

Platform Windows XP Professional

Whenever I download an attached file from my email, Windows gives me the option to either "save" the file OR "open" the file. If I save the file I can designate the MyDocument folder or anything else that I wish to save. However, if I click "open" the file saves in the temporary internet folder. My question is how do I prevent files from saving to the temporary internet folder whenever I click open? I know that I could simply click "save" instead, but I either need the "open" feature to be disabled OR for the file not to save to the Temporary Internet Folder under those circumstances. Please help.

Thanks,

THanks for the link, however I still can't get it to work. I made the changes that the article suggested in Group Policy (gpedit.msc), but no change. Something interesting I noticed is that both Internet Explorer and Firefox save a downloaded file in entirely different directory locations. This makes me assume that it's the individual browsers are responsible for saving the downloaded file to temporary internet folders and NOT windows itself. Anyone else have suggestions? I've uploaded a couple of screen shots, so you can see the two different directory locations:

post-27716-1197518836_thumb.jpg

post-27716-1197518851_thumb.jpg

Edited by rcald2000

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial64.html

That'll work for IE.

I don't know how to change it in Firefox but I stumbled upon the "about:mozilla" page when looking around. :P

Thanks Thewacokid, I read the entire tutorial you suggested: "Managing your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files", HOWEVER, it didn't offer a solution for my specific problem. There is a very specific reason why it's important that I solve this problem; I'm a lab coordinator in my school's computer lab. Many of the students in my lab download papers that they are drafting from their emails onto the workstations, but they usually click "open" instead of "save", which of course means that their files are saved in the Internet Explorer temporary internet folder. This results in most of them losing their work because it's very challenging (almost impossible) to find their work to re-upload back to their email. I'm just trying to make their academic lives a little better.

I welcome any and all suggestions for a solution, and thank you guys for your time.

wouldn't the part of moving the Temp Internet Files work for you? That way you could move where they are downloaded to somewhere like a folder off of the root of c: and then it would be relatively easy to find their work again.

wouldn't the part of moving the Temp Internet Files work for you? That way you could move where they are downloaded to somewhere like a folder off of the root of c: and then it would be relatively easy to find their work again.

I attempted to move the location of the Temporary Internet Folder to MyDocuments, however the result was less than stellar. What happened of course, was that the entire Temporary Internet Folder, and it's contents, were now a subfolder of MyDocuments. That would be cool if only the downloaded file were in there alone, but of course a huge barrage of files are located in there as well. It would be way too challenging for students to find their work among those several hundred temp files.

Honestly, I would settle for a way to disable the "open" option in the download popup window, leaving "save" as the only option.

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/442/

If you can't follow that, basically, just go into the registry to this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

Find the REG_DWORD called NoFileOpen and set the VALUE to 1.

If that DWORD doesn't exist, just create it.

Problem solved.

I'm not sure that'll do it Clay. I think that just disables File menu >> Open, but still allows something clicked as a download to have the open option.

I'm guess they're using some sort of webmail? If you the ability to modify code in the email system, <meta name="DownloadOptions" content="noopen" /> will remove the open option from the download dialogue.

I did find what may work for you in Firefox.

Go to Tools >> Options >> Main tab

Under "Downloads" set the "Save files to" a location like the Desktop or whatever you want, or "Always ask me where to save files"

Then go to your email or someplace to download one of the file types students have trouble with (.doc, .ppt, etc, .docx)

Click to download, and you'll get the option from firefox to Open or Save

Mark Save, then check the "Do this automatically for files like this from now on."

Anytime that file type is attempted to be downloaded, it will save to your specified location or ask where to save.

Doing this adds an entry on Options >> Content, File Types

Edited by 94Camaro

Please forgive me....but ...if it is a computer lab....

Tell them to click Save...

or use a Jump drive....

I'm surprised you let students save anything on the lab systems.......

I would just make sure they know what to do and if they lose papers/etc then it's their fault.

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/442/

If you can't follow that, basically, just go into the registry to this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

Find the REG_DWORD called NoFileOpen and set the VALUE to 1.

If that DWORD doesn't exist, just create it.

Problem solved.

I attempted to find the registry location you wrote, but I'm baffled where Internet Explorer is positioned. Apparently my workstations registry structure is slightly different:

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Operating System Version 5.1.2600

Does anyone know where Internet Explorer is located in the registry? Thanks.

post-27716-1197587661_thumb.jpg