Can you feel my breath Hardnrg?

kingdingeling

Is the Windows SMP client so much worse? I wanted this for my work computer, and would like to avoid installing Linux.

I've just been running the Windows SMP client as a service and I get ~1100 ppd on my desktop if I don't use it for anything. I'd supposedly gain a couple hundred PPD if I ran Linux 64 bit with the SMP client going but I haven't tried it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What will? The Linux or the Windows?

EDIT: nm, I'll just stick with the regular clients, this is all just too confusing. I have to dedicate hard drive space and RAM? boo. Hard drive space I don't care about, but I need all my RAM; I do too much heavy duty programming and multi-tasking.

Its not that confusing just use the windows SMP client and you will get probably 3,000 PPD at stock speed...

EDIT: nm, I'll just stick with the regular clients, this is all just too confusing. I have to dedicate hard drive space and RAM? boo. Hard drive space I don't care about, but I need all my RAM; I do too much heavy duty programming and multi-tasking.

The Windows SMP client uses ~256 MB of RAM normally on my machine.

It's only using 80 megs on my HTPC though. It really depends on the workunit I guess.

The Windows SMP client uses ~256 MB of RAM normally on my machine.

It's only using 80 megs on my HTPC though. It really depends on the workunit I guess.

That's not what I was talking about. Installing VMWare (required if I wanted to run the Linux client) uses RAM.

Anywho, I installed the Windows client. After it downloaded the core, I exited and then ran it as a service. Right now mpiexec.exe is only using like 20% of my CPU. ??? I don't see any fahcore exe file running like when using the regular client. Is that normal? I'll have to check the logs in a few mins to see if it actually progresses <_>

That's not what I was talking about. Installing VMWare (required if I wanted to run the Linux client) uses RAM.

Anywho, I installed the Windows client. After it downloaded the core, I exited and then ran it as a service. Right now mpiexec.exe is only using like 20% of my CPU. ??? I don't see any fahcore exe file running like when using the regular client. Is that normal? I'll have to check the logs in a few mins to see if it actually progresses <_<

No its not normal, check here...

Anywho, I installed the Windows client. After it downloaded the core, I exited and then ran it as a service. Right now mpiexec.exe is only using like 20% of my CPU. ??? I don't see any fahcore exe file running like when using the regular client. Is that normal? I'll have to check the logs in a few mins to see if it actually progresses <_<

You have to set the client to start up as a service under your account and not a local one (the settings are on the service properties for the service). :)