Smack all Over with Intel's Smackover

It's not the next drug, but it is Intel's next-generation ultra-high-end motherboard. Although this might be a little inconsequential to post in a blog, I just wanted to point out that Intel's next-generation Skulltrail replacement is technically on the roadmap for Q4 2008.

It's name: Smackover. This server motherboard, rebranded as a halo desktop product, will only compete at the ultra-high-end enthusiast segment -- a market AMD recently exited.

6709_get_jo_smak_on.png

Also like Skulltrail, Smackover is essentially a server motherboard with overclocking abilities for the upcoming Nehalem processor, also slated for release in Q4 2008. The board will use the Tylersburg server chipset with ICH10R.

Intel designates its product codenames off various points of interest on U.S. maps. Smackover, as it would happen, is actually a small town in Arkansas. It had to be somewhere I suppose.

Intel guidance is light on details, though representatives (off the record) would confirm that the board features 3-channel DDR3 and an LGA1366 socket.

Just remember friends, smack kills!

Daily Tech

I will have to ask about the ICH10R chipset. I have not even heard that it has taped out yet. I work at F20, the Intel P861 network, making the ICH9, but have not seen any lots of ICH10 come through yet. It is either being made in MA or a P1260 process. I will find out. It is great that Intel finally admits there is gamers out there.