Sign in to follow this  
g1ng3r

Sub-Woofer bottoming out

Don't be a muppet and think "oh that JL Audio can do 3.5kW for 2 microseconds, it must be louder than a 335W RMS sub"

:withstupid:

Btw, don't use EQ on the computer, and there's no such thing as 14.3 sound lol, you might get 14.1 if you had a cinema audio matrix interpolator, otherwise it's still 5.1 or 7.1

Yeah, don't use the PC's EQ.... unless you're outputting directly to monitors and you want to simulate stuff.

In theory you could have 14.3 - I mean it's easy to set up if you have the right gear, and record all the tracks yourself - but there aren't any films or music recorded like that :lol:

Btw, don't use EQ on the computer, and there's no such thing as 14.3 sound lol, you might get 14.1 if you had a cinema audio matrix interpolator, otherwise it's still 5.1 or 7.1

Lol, you looking at my sig huh?

Its a joke lol, I know its not 14.3 :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure I put a smiley next to that '=14.3' bit...I'm glad you pointed that out because that looks real 'nooby' putting that there. Thanks for that steve :)

Anyway, so the SUB subwoofers look real meaty....I'd sooo love to hear, or should I say feel, them pumping out reasonable db levels at 10-20Hz.

My dad finished his 1000w RMS amp a while back now, but after buying his new car (2007 Mondeo) http://www.ford-mondeo.eu/FordMondeoBreak.jpg and aswell as being close to christmas, he's having a hard time saving his money. Hes got to get the wood and speaker and design the box before he brings the amp home from work...so unfortunately iv'e yet to see it.

P.s - Try that link in my first post....its a cool bass scene

Edited by g1ng3r

Dayton Audio makes a pretty sick sub for the price. My roomate has the sub100 in the basement, and it will shake the entire upstairs of the house when you feed it a sub test.

Great performance for the price. I would fully recomend it.

I seem to remember where you had a similar thread a few months ago and we suggested you turn it down to preserve your hearing.
WHAT!? *cups hand to ear*

I'm sorry couldn't hear you could you repeat that...

:P

I don't care about the loudness of the bass, I just want to feel it...I'm sure you guys would agree that feeling the movie is really enjoyable.
Thats the problem, most "sub-woofers" in these sets have a boomier bass to them, as Harnrg said you need a good true sub-woofer to start getting high spls (louder, more pressure) at the frequencies that start to dip down the the inaudible/"I can feel it" frequencies...

Of course these subwoofers can output some of those frequencies but as you stated you need to "deal with" the intense volume of the audible bass range to get an acceptable level of "I can feel it" bass that is unless you have a purpose built subwoofer that you integrate into your system...

/the above text is opinion, don't quote me on it, I believe it as true but as usual it probably isnt... :P

Thats the problem, most "sub-woofers" in these sets have a boomier bass to them

The problem is (even if you get nice gear) that people dial up the lower frequencies to try and get heavy bass when there isn't any in the signal... this leads to a crap sound and people being pissed that their expensive equipment sounds bad. For example, today I was testing some drone samples through a genelec 7070a (a very nice sub) and most of them sounded terrible as they weren't meant to sound as deep as I wanted them.

If you want subsonics at high levels you need to sacrifice either a lot of money or a lot of space.

I don't think you'd appreciate any of the high-quality subs posted so far, it sounds like all you want is extremely loud and deep bass. In that case, get a set of 4 decent 15" Dayton subs and put them in a big ported box tuned to ~ 18 Hz. You'll probably break stuff if you throw ~600 rms at it.

If you want subsonics at high levels you need to sacrifice either a lot of money or a lot of space.

I don't think you'd appreciate any of the high-quality subs posted so far, it sounds like all you want is extremely loud and deep bass. In that case, get a set of 4 decent 15" Dayton subs and put them in a big ported box tuned to ~ 18 Hz. You'll probably break stuff if you throw ~600 rms at it.

More like the answer I was looking for :)