Modding the Cosmos 1000

Hey there guys and girls!

I got my new case to day! i went for the Cosmos .

next step is to Fix/Fit some Radiator's

I was planning to some how fit a Black Ice Stealth GT240 Rad in the top of the case. it has like an empty space at the top covered by some plastic flap. There seems to be just eough space to fit the rad in. the only floor in this is that the fan spaceing at the top is for both 120mm fans and 140mm fans this means the gap between both fans is greater on the case than on the rad. the 120mm fans on the rad are back to back.

so. I can fix the rad useing only 4 fixing holes (one 120mm fan on one end) this leaves the rad about 10-20mm out of line with the other fan. My self i dont see this as much of a Problem because the fan is still goin to cool the rad even if its only just out of line.

the other thing i could do is use two single rad's (as the spaceing would not matter) and link them.... im goin to be useing a very good pump the Laing D5 Vario. im hopping this thing will push the water ok one maybe 3 or 4 single rad's ok + the cpu block NB block and GFX's blocks.

These pics might help you under stand what I'm trying to exsplain

Top view of the cosmos

Cosmostopview.jpg

Plastic flap thingy

plastickflapthing.jpg

The hidden space this space has from 30mm depth to about 45mm

undertheflap.jpg

Here you can see the fan spacing

fanspaceing.jpg

In this pic i just found an old rad is dont have mine yet. just to give my self and you an idea of how things fit .

testfit.jpg

As you may of guess i dont have a clue how to word all this so my english is a bit ruff

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just drill new holes?

thats not as easy as it sound becuase there no where to drill new holes as the gilled area for the air flow is where the new holes need to be..

@Rr i think thats my best bet hopfully the rad wont need 2 be moved 2 towrds the front as it get quite tight near the back only 30mm of space and the rad is some thing like 29mm lol

well im goin oder the rad as soon as i Get paid so ill no more on firday or over the weekend!

Right ive come up with a plan for the water cooling. because ive got so meny blocks things are goin to get hard for one pump so ive desided 2 have two loops both with 240gts rad's the first rad is simpal to fit just need 2 screw it to the pree drilled holes and cut a little bit of plactic 2 make room for the fans right at the top of my case

the second rad how ever is a bit more complex!!! im goin 2 try and mount all the bits for the second loop all on an arm in side my case.

looking at the pictur below you can clearly see that coolMaster have designed some sort of placstic ventaltion duct! wat i hope to do is... change the silly ducked for a 240 rad a pump a small rez.

DSC04920.jpg

Heres a pic of my first thinkins.....

loop2.jpg

Dont laugh to much! :)

first of all you can see there are 2 main arms to this design these arms span the gap in the case to give maxium room. the arms have a kink(L shaped) on the end so when this swings open is clears the edge of the case

i hope these pics help you under stand!

Closed

armsshut.jpg

Open

armsopen.jpg

:) it all seems good to me so far i have to do a little bit of maths cuz i have about 60mm 2 play with between the side of the case as the edge of the gfx card's! and as far as i can tell if i have a water block the gfx card is about 20 wider and with fans fixed 2 the rad the whole lot is about 55mm wide!

Change of plan again. im now goin to use 2 D5 pumps and mount them where the Hdd rack was. i may have mount the pumps on a angle so the tube coming from the top of the pump dose not kink!

Befor

HDDRACKbefor.jpg

After

HDDRACKafter.jpg

UpDate

Some of the water cooling parts come today.

Barbs for the EK rez Made up with PTFE tape

Brabsmadeup.jpg

Rez Fixing's

REZbrakets.jpg

First rez made up and test/fitted

REZmadeupleaktestandtestfit.jpg

Top barb is for the fill port the barb on the left is the return from the chipset and the lower barb is for the pump feed.

D5 PUMP with photoshop tube linking to the rez

REZandD52.jpg

The top of the pump is to close to the HDD rack to fit tube on with out kinking it so i'm goin to mount the pump on an angle to increes the space.

The top of the pump is to close to the HDD rack to fit tube on with out kinking it so i'm goin to mount the pump on an angle to increes the space.

What about mounting it directly below the res and having the base attach to the HDD cage?

Nice idea i like it but it does not quite work. good thinking tho :D

D5rez.jpg

also i wanted 2 put a dual rad on the foor of my case in sted of drilling holes in the side of my lovly case

more planing

radpoz.jpg

the rad's goin to be down here barbs the far end in the pump "cage" lol im goin have to cut my way though to next door with a nice big hole some thing like this

hole.jpg

but a lot neater!

also this is the idea i had of mounting the pump so the tube wont kink

D5poz.jpg

Right hes pretty much how im goin to have the gpu loop.

the big black blob is the 240gt rad the two red blobs are the barbs. geen blob is the D5 pump the blue is ment to be tubeing *all diffrent shades so you can tell what is goin where*

pipeworkcopy.jpg

:)