Whatcha think? to write a guide, or not to write a guide?

jack_of_java

I recently went through an article that was an overview to an easy way of overclocking my GPU. This is something I have yet to see on this website, unless I have missed it somewhere in my search. So, I am curious as to if I should write a guide to oc'ing newer nvidia cards or not. What are your opinions? If I do write a guide, I'd like a couple of volunteers to take a few minutes and review the guide. Let me know what you think.

I recently went through an article that was an overview to an easy way of overclocking my GPU. This is something I have yet to see on this website, unless I have missed it somewhere in my search. So, I am curious as to if I should write a guide to oc'ing newer nvidia cards or not. What are your opinions? If I do write a guide, I'd like a couple of volunteers to take a few minutes and review the guide. Let me know what you think.

how in-depth would you make your guide - i.e. volt-modding, RivaTuner/ATITool basics, GPU BIOS flashing? how far back would you go - 7600 series, 7900 series? maybe sticking only with the 8xxx on up? I know I'd read it for sure - I've got 2x 7900 GS', which will magically turn into an 8800 GT sometime around the beginning of the New Year. plus, I prefer to get as much of my info directly from OCC - or approved off-site links - as possible. I very much trust and appreciate the community here, and an OCC stamp of approval might as well mean God himself said "...and it was good". :)

Right now, I am currently taking pictures and getting details on how I am overclocking my 8800 GTS video cards. I am using these as a basis for writing this. After I get permission from an author of another article I've been following, I will probably post it here and see if it deemed good by the community. As far as the other article (which I will include in the guide), it goes back to the 7 series cards as well. This guide will be a more in-depth approach to finding out the max overclock of a card, comparisons of different tests, as well as how I flashed the bios on each GPU.

I can say that for writing this guide, I am using my own watercooled 8800 GTS Superclocked, with a goal of going beyond the standard clocking of a 8800 GTX card in both GPU frequency and VRAM frequency.

I have an 8800GTS on water... do you have an A3 revision? I have one at 702 / 1044 (2088DDR)... I use ATiTool to OC because RivaTuner has 2D/3D issues, even though it can apparently OC the stream processor speed as well..

I think my comparisons in the end will be the current stock SLI setup I have now and the overclocked SLI setup. I will be using ATI Tool and not RivaTuner to OC. I am mainly concerned with GPU and VRAM overclocking to get a little push in my gaming rig.

@Hardnrg: Looks like I'm running A2 versions of EVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB Superclocked. Do you think it is important to overclock the stream processor speed? I mean, going for more speed is good, but is it even noticeable? I will have to do more research on this if you think it important to overclocking the card. I also read something on adjusting the shader speed? Same thing or different? Btw, what is the max temp you've reached on your vid card? According to ATI Tools, my card has maxed at 45C on full load.

Also, from looking around on specs from Newegg, it seems that the average 8800GTX runs around 600-621 MHz GPU and around 2000 MHz VRAM. Your opinion?

Here is also the article to view at your leisure if you're interested in what I want to accomplish. Looking at how work is acting this time of year, I'm not quite sure yet if I'll be able to put a lot of time into this.

Edited by jack_of_java

I'll read it. I wouldn't bother mentioning anything older than a 7800. You should probably spend most of your time writing about the 8800s. I wouldn't go into voltmodding or anything hardcore though. That deserves a guide of its own.

could someone write a guide on riv tunner softmoding Ati or nvidia cards to there counter-part workstation card. i'v seen articles for 7900s and 1800s but nothing else. or straight up flashing it i know nvidia cards can be but i duno about ati

I found out a few more useful things while reading the SLI forums on the nvidia website. If you have two cards in SLI and want to overclock them, you must overclock them to the same specs, else one card will slow down to compensate for the other card, which in turn causes a lot more issues with compatibility and performance. That wasn't mentioned in the article as well. I'd really like to get with someone that oc's their ATI card and maybe do a guide for both kinds of cards. Anyone interested?