Post Your Workstation!

Bosco

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ESD isnt really as big of problem as people make it to be. Ive only had one old mobo fry from ESD and that was gunna go in the occ getto super computer. And oh yeah that 9000pro video card. But thats it. If you just keep you componets away from alot of dust you will be fine. I wouldent keep em on the floor because they can be steped on. If its in a case its ok.

yes that is carpeted... but that mobo is sooooooo old and.. stuff... its from '94 and it was broken anyway

i just took it apart for the screen... im probably going to make a case out of the mobo and other stuff there, i am using aol cds for the case part (shiny part out) then il put cards and stuff on it

i have millions of uses for them... melting them is hours of fun, you can use them on ur shoes so you dont have a shoeprint, you can cover your car with them to blind people :P i have more, i just can't remember them right now... (most of my other ones are pratical)

ESD isnt really as big of problem as people make it to be.

Actually it's a bigger problem than people think it is. A lot dead components are a result of ESD, but people like to blame it on other things. Walking across a carpetted floor produces thousands of volts...more than enough to ruin a card, CPU, mobo..etc.

*reprinted from the Aug 2000 issue of the PC Alamode*

The Electrostatic Discharge Association has an extensive series of articles on the subject. The web address is http://www.esda.org. According to the article, it is estimated that as much as 33% of electronic parts are lost to ESD on an annual basis.

Dude if its in a case its ok. And if you keep the case closed! then it will be fine. Oh yeah i once fryed a hard drive with a staple. LOL I was chuckin staples and had my pannel off my case one flew up into the hdd cage and all of a sunden sparks were flying so i pulled da plug and it wouldent reboot, so I RMAd da thing. lol just thought i share that.

Heh I remember I built a very old system with some spare parts laying around..didnt care as to what the results would be but I installed a video card with no cooling and after a few seconds the chip shattered and started to smoke lol that was cool :)

Dude if its in a case its ok. And if you keep the case closed! then it will be fine.

Uhhh duh, I wasn't saying his components would fry INSIDE OF HIS CASE WHILE RUNNING. I made the comment because it looked like his components were strewn across his carpet floor!