Possible new setup

-Eagle-

This is for a friend and I havn't really kept up with all the the latest technologies. This would be used for audio/movie production, and gaming.

Any corrections, comments, critique, whatever is welcome.

Thanks guys,

Jordan

joescomputerur9.jpg

Edited by -Eagle-

E6550 - 175$

Gigabyte P31-DS3L - 79$

A-Data Extreme Edition 2x1GB PC2-6400 - 60$ <-- Micron D9 chips for good OCing

Sapphire X1950Pro 256MB - 135$

Hitachi 160GB SATA 3.0GB/s - 50$

Lite-On DVD-Burner with the same features except LightScribe - 29$

Coolermaster CM690 Case - 70$ <-- not just personal preference, but this case offers a lot more features :)

Same Hanns-G 19" 8ms Monitor - 170$

Grand Total: ca. 768$ for a much faster system

I suggested Intel, because the Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs are faster than the AMD X2's, and they are about the same price (overall, with mobos etc).

E6550 - 175$

Gigabyte P31-DS3L - 79$

A-Data Extreme Edition 2x1GB PC2-6400 - 60$ <-- Micron D9 chips for good OCing

Sapphire X1950Pro 256MB - 135$

Hitachi 160GB SATA 3.0GB/s - 50$

Lite-On DVD-Burner with the same features except LightScribe - 29$

Coolermaster CM690 Case - 70$ <-- not just personal preference, but this case offers a lot more features :)

Same Hanns-G 19" 8ms Monitor - 170$

Grand Total: ca. 768$ for a much faster system

I suggested Intel, because the Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs are faster than the AMD X2's, and they are about the same price (overall, with mobos etc).

:withstupid: Thanks king, I wasn't even sure where to start. :lol:

That said, there are a few things I don't agree with. First, a much larger hard drive is only a little more. Second, why bother with lightscribe? The Samsung SH-S203B is a good, inexpensive drive (though the price has gone up a few dollars since I last checked). Third, do you really want a shoddy monitor? Just look for sales. I've seen very nice Samsung and Acer 19" monitors on sale for $150-160. If he's impatient, there's a widescreen 19" Acer for $10 more than the crappy Hanns one. Finally, try to squeeze in $15 more for the P35 DS3 mobo. The case isn't my first choice, but it's a damn good deal for $30 after rebate!

so you guys don't think its worth it for the geforce 8xxx series or the pci 2.0 cards

The 8800s are worth it, particularly the GT if you can find one. The GT actually makes the GTS and GTX almost obsolete. Stay away from the 8400s, 8500s, and 8600s though; those are all terrible. But if your budget is about $750 for the whole system, I don't think you can afford one. If you have a larger budget, you should probably tell us so we can suggest better parts.

PCI-E 2.0 is really only marketing at this point. 2.0 cards work with 1.1 mobos and 1.1 cards work with 2.0 mobos. We aren't even close to maxing out PCI-E x16 yet, so doubling the theoretical bandwidth is far from necessary. In the future it'll be necessary. But this is the very first generation of products that have it, so we're at the very beginning of the transition. It's just like when PCI-E first came out: People were buying AGP cards and mobos for years after (and they're still buying AGP cards).