Can adding a new component change your once stable OC...

Systemlord

Hello guys & gals, I was wondering if a once stable overclock from last June can become unstable do to the fact that you added a new power hungry component to the system? I recently added a 8800GTX to my system replacing my old 7800GTX. Thank you for any suggestion you might have! :unsure:

A look here might help out.

It's certainly possible, but I'd say it's unlikely in your case. If the video card was eating up too much power, it might make some of the voltages unstable which would surely affect your OC, but in your case I think your PSU is more than enough to handle what you have.

It shouldn't too much problem adding 88 GTX like you have.. That ur OCing is not the vga itself... Coz u have PCI lock right? So it's not much of a difference. The only thing possible is that u'll have a higher score on your 3dmark.=))

Yes it locked at PCI-E 100MHz and so is my PCI clock at 33.33. In bios I see the Vcore move from 1.544 to 1.552 back and forth, then it moves down to my +3.3 volt rail to 3.280 which is still in spec and does the same thing as it did on my Vcore. It will even trickle down to my +5v rail and do the exact same thing but only one at a time. :unsure: This trickling of rail voltages started when I got my 8800GTX, I running Orthos right now with all overclocks disabled and have 12 hours with no errors on stock Vcore stock everything. My +12v rails have NEVER change from 12.20v.

I did a little experiment, I went into bios upped all the Vcores for CPU, NorthBridge, FSB volts, and then rebooted into bios again and thats when you see more voltage flucuations, then I set all Vcore setting to there stock values and then rebooted into bios again and the voltages didn't act up like it they did when I upped them all. I remember a time (before my 8800GTX install) when all my voltage rails were glued stiff and never flucuated at all, they remained solid as a picture. I am so worried right now, the day I get Crysis this happens, Grrr! I won't install it till my Orthos go to 24 hours stable with no erors.

Never throughout this ordeal have I been able to stress my computer enough to make it lock up or crash, believe me I ran Orthos priority 8 blend with many background apps running and I can't get the computer to crash. I ran Crysis at all very high setting for hours with no problem, but who knows how many errors I must have got?The only problem I've seen is the errors I got with my June overclock that passed a 24 hour Orthos attack without a problem until now.

11122007163028oc7.jpg

By systemlord at 2007-11-12

The 8800GTX produces way more heat than the 7800GTX, maybe as much as two 7800 cards... most of this is expelled through the back with the stock cooler though...

The PSU you have is modular, so it's slightly inferior to a non-modular PSU... but the thing that makes it suck compared to the best PSUs is that it is a triple rail design...

Take a look at the table at the bottom of this page: http://www.enermax.com/english/product_Display1.asp?PrID=73

There are 3 GPU power connectors, you can see that one of these shares the same rail as the CPU, one of them shares with the motherboard, and one of them only shares with some drive connectors... so try changing the PCI-E power connector, trial and error observation if they aren't labelled

btw, is CPU-Z just reading your vCore wrong? 1.18v with 64

The 8800GTX produces way more heat than the 7800GTX, maybe as much as two 7800 cards... most of this is expelled through the back with the stock cooler though...

The PSU you have is modular, so it's slightly inferior to a non-modular PSU... but the thing that makes it suck compared to the best PSUs is that it is a triple rail design...

Take a look at the table at the bottom of this page: http://www.enermax.com/english/product_Display1.asp?PrID=73

There are 3 GPU power connectors, you can see that one of these shares the same rail as the CPU, one of them shares with the motherboard, and one of them only shares with some drive connectors... so try changing the PCI-E power connector, trial and error observation if they aren't labelled

btw, is CPU-Z just reading your vCore wrong? 1.18v with 64

Just so you know, Large FFTs is much more stressfull and creates more heat than Blend. ;)

Good to hear from you again Bleeble! I thinking about lowering my OC just a little now because I just won't up my Vcore anymore than it is, 1.54. Durring the summer months my system locked up on me 3-4 night in a row, so when I took off my side panel it was very hot inside my case. I couldn't believe how hot it was inside, it felt like an oven. Dcember 1st I will be getting the SilverStone TJ09 case to further cool my hot system. I want to increase the life of my system components and think my Vcore is a little on the high side. O btw Orthos has 21 hours on it at stock volts, just wish I knew what setting caused my Orthos errors, so I'll shoot for maybe 3.2-3.4GHz.

Good to hear from you again Bleeble! I thinking about lowering my OC just a little now because I just won't up my Vcore anymore than it is, 1.54. Durring the summer months my system locked up on me 3-4 night in a row, so when I took off my side panel it was very hot inside my case. I couldn't believe how hot it was inside, it felt like an oven. Dcember 1st I will be getting the SilverStone TJ09 case to further cool my hot system. I want to increase the life of my system components and think my Vcore is a little on the high side. O btw Orthos has 21 hours on it at stock volts, just wish I knew what setting caused my Orthos errors, so I'll shoot for maybe 3.2-3.4GHz.

:D

The actual voltage and the voltage as measured by software are typically different. Not to mention pretty much every mobo has at least some vDroop under load (.04V in the case of my DS3). Maybe it's just me, but I have a real hard time trusting software when I know the BIOS can't even read the right voltages. :rolleyes: When I started using Large FFTs instead of Blend for CPU stability testing (and HCI's MemTest for RAM testing), I had to lower my OC from 3.6GHz to 3.55GHz and more voltage didn't seem to help. It was a bit depressing since I was hoping for more than 3.6GHz after trying some voltmods on my mobo, but I guess it's my CPU that has issues. Maybe some day I'll feel motivated to really crank up the voltage to see if that helps.

Anyway, that's enough about me. You're running 400x9 @ 1.54V, correct? 67C seems a bit high for the Tuniq Tower, but it's highly dependent on your case airflow. Try taking the side panel off to see if your temps improve. Your instability might be caused by the increased heat from the GTX (quite likely considering your comment about the temps in your case). You could also try replacing the fan in your TT with one that pushes more air to see if that helps.

BTW, I like your case choice. The TJ09 is one good looking case. :thumbs-up:

You're running 400x9 @ 1.54V, correct? 67C seems a bit high for the Tuniq Tower, but it's highly dependent on your case airflow. BTW, I like your case choice. The TJ09 is one good looking case. :thumbs-up:

Yes I am running my "actual Vcore" @ 1.544, but lately I have seen only in bios under "Hardware Monitor" up to 1.552 even when I have it set @ 1.5875 and only see 1.552 out of that setting. My P5B Deluxe has a huge Vcore sag and on top of that my CPU is a voltage pig! Once I hit 3.2GHz I have to leave stock volts and past 3.2 only requires more and more Vcore settings, there is no middle happy spot for my processer. Either it wants a little more than stock or it wants more than I'm willing to give it. Right now I have 22 hours on Orthos and at stock volts with Vcore under load @ 1.26v, without load @ 1.28v. I know at 3.2GHz it will need around 1.4xx Vcore to be happy. At least I got a lucky 8800GTX OC, have a look.

11152007012621bt9.jpg

By systemlord at 2007-11-15

Yes I am running my "actual Vcore" @ 1.544, but lately I have seen only in bios under "Hardware Monitor" up to 1.552 even when I have it set @ 1.5875 and only see 1.552 out of that setting. My P5B Deluxe has a huge Vcore sag and on top of that my CPU is a voltage pig! Once I hit 3.2GHz I have to leave stock volts and past 3.2 only requires more and more Vcore settings, there is no middle happy spot for my processer. Either it wants a little more than stock or it wants more than I'm willing to give it. Right now I have 22 hours on Orthos and at stock volts with Vcore under load @ 1.26v, without load @ 1.28v. I know at 3.2GHz it will need around 1.4xx Vcore to be happy. At least I got a lucky 8800GTX OC, have a look.

That is an impressive OC on your GTX. I'm wondering how your CPU load temps dropped from 67C to 37C? What are your idle temps?

I never bothered to see how far my CPU would go with stock voltages. I just bumped the voltage and went straight to 3.3GHz. :lol: Unfortunately, my CPU doesn't seem to want to go beyond where it's at right now. It doesn't seem to be a temperature or voltage issue, it just hits a wall.

Just because I'm curious, what does the "CPUID Data" tab in Intel's CPU ID utility show?

That is an impressive OC on your GTX. I'm wondering how your CPU load temps dropped from 67C to 37C? What are your idle temps?

My core temps for idle on the OC in picture above was 34-37C idle, gaming never saw more than 57c core temp except for durring the summer months. I think I'll settle for 3.2-3.4GHz on my yet to be OC. This morning it seems that our summer temperatures have returned. For some reason my picture above is messed up?