Has anyone heard of this?

nightsider

Has anyone hard of the Windows Home Server software if so what does it do i know i should Google it but I am wondering if anyone knows what the juicy bits are

it's a version of 2003 server designed for home use. though it really should be called "idiot edition" server. it's nothing more than XP (in both looks and technology) with some stupified wizards for setting up file and print sharing (frankly if you can't figure it out the way it is now, you shouldn't be messing with it) and this useless remote backup feature that MS still hasn't been able to complete in the betas. this is shaping up to be another way to late launch of a product that isn't needed.

the cool thing about it is its great for a simple file server. you can have w/e amount of drives and sizes and windows shows them as one drive. Alshouth the smallest drive is the most amount you can transfer at once, So if you have a 40 gig drive you can only transfer 40gigs or less at a time.

The only "bonus" to this OS is getting OEMs to make home media/backup servers (again the backup portion seems to be flawed...but who knows it might actually work properly someday) for the average user and getting them to think they need it, all to make more $$ for the OEM and Microsoft.

I tested out one of the beta versions back aroudn the time they were first making announcements about it and wasnt even remotely impressed, from what I've read there were some improvements but nothing that even starts to get me excited about it. It does nothing I cant aready do with XP (got it) or even Linux (free though a bit less "user friendly")

yeah, that works great for people like you and me that have been educated about dynamic volumes.

side note: I seems that feature is not included in vista home premium :(

software raid is part of the server OS's. not the pro or home ones.

it's still pointless.