Its Ruff Being Green; Like To Say Hi To Everyone

Kevin John

The first time I touched a computer was Aug. 2005. Bought it for my better half. Figured I could play games on it. Not! & it has been an education ever since. It was a compaq Presario 512MB the guy who sold it to me at Office Depo said it could do what I was looking to do. Well needless to say there was no way. So I returned it. Frustrated I went to Circuit City. Picked up a HP Pavilion. Still not good enough. My wife got me Need For Speed Underground 4 game set. So I called EA support They told me I need to have an ATI 300 graphic card. So I take the Pavilion back & upgrade again now to the best computer in the store at the time. HP Media Center m7250n Photosmart PC which does have this graphic card EA had mentioned. So now I am happy, I got my little logitech wheel & I am good to go. Accept the system is unstable & kept on crashing. So I brought that one back for an even exchange. Now it is Dec 1 2005 & the computer has been running like a champ form day 1. This was my crash course into computer tech. 2 years later after a lot of learning & :withstupid: research I just upgraded the HP m7250n; with a RAIDMAX 630W PS a Diamond Viper ATI Radeon X1950XTX & 2GB G.Skill PC2 4200 (533MHz) CL4-4-4-12 which I am sending back. Since i found out my motherboard supports PC2 5300 (667MHz) I ordered Patriot Signature 2GB PC2 5300 (667MHz) CL5-5-5-20. Thinking I could overclock it to get the CL #'s down. But now I am not so sure since I can't access any settings in my BIOS no clock multi. no front bus settings nothing. Doesent look like HP is going to let me overclock anything. Maybe I should send the Patriot back to & get something in the PC2 5300 (667MHz) class with low stock CL #'s. I would really like to overclock this system it is the only thing left to do. Has anyone got into this Phoenix AwardBIOS reversion 3.17 date4/20/06? I would appreciate any help & suggestions I could get. Thanks for listening, Kevin John

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to OCC.

anyways, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but most pre-built computers have no overclocking options in the bios. Dells, e-machines, compaqs, hp's, etc... sorry man, but looks like your stuck in the same boat I am. I bought a dell about 4 years ago, and I haven't had the money to replace it with a real computer yet.

Welcome to OCC :)

Yeah, pre-builts are great for businesses and non-enthusiasts, but for everyone else, they suck hardcore. Be lucky you were even able to upgrade the PSU...in the past, HP used proprietary connections for power. Until you feel like delving into building a PC yourself, I think you're kinda stuck.

Be lucky you were even able to upgrade the PSU...in the past, HP used proprietary connections for power.

Hurr? I've never seen an HP with such crap in it, several Dells but the only problem ive had with HP (in PSUs anyway) was their love for extra micro ATX PSUs limiting you to a 200w crap brand :)

Anyway Looks like you're starting to get some research done and seeing as how you've already done some upgrading the next logical step will be to build your own :) It's not too hard, but we're here to help when things go wrong. (and trust me while I 100% support overclocking etc,thigns DO go wrong and at some point you WILL be left scratching your head tryign to figure out what went wrong, it happens to all of us at least a few times :lol:)

Anyway wellcome to the Club of Overclockerage <--yep made that one up on the fly

Oh and Dont Touch the Llamas (DTTL), even others tell you it's safe...they lie!