rpg

ThunderChicken

Anyone have any suggestions to rpg's much like the elder scrolls series. I cant get enough of these games but at the same time im looking for something new. any suggestions?

Anyone have any suggestions to rpg's much like the elder scrolls series. I cant get enough of these games but at the same time im looking for something new. any suggestions?

Hellgate:London is definitely worth a look. Got my copy and I freaking love it! Two Worlds is also another alternative although it's much more combat driven than, for example, Oblivion and it's nothing special in the story department, unlike Morrowind(favorite of the ES series).

HGL (Hellgate: London) is awesome! It's nothing like the Elder Scrolls series though. It's a lot faster-paced and action-packed than Elder Scrolls. Game looks freaking cool too (esp. in DX10).

HGL is a cool game, but I'm not quite as pleased with it as I thought I would be. The opening video was freakin' awesome, and totally got me pumped up to play. But when I actually got into the game, I was fairly disappointed. If you're expecting cutting-edge (or even fairly-sharp-edge-for-current-games) graphics, you'll be let down like me. They're not "bad", but they're just pretty low detail. But I struggled on despite the lack of eye candy, and it was enjoyable. The story is interesting, the quests have a very "what an MMO would be without other people" feel, which I actually kind of like. It keeps your quest log full of little tasks you can go do so you never feel like you're lost or bored. The AI is nothing to write home about, but it's not bad either. All in all, it feels a lot like a 3D Diablo II, which is pretty much what I think they were going for, so success there. It's a fun game, and seems like something I can enjoy without committing huge blocks of time to, but it's not quite the breakthrough that I thought it would be.

HGL is a cool game, but I'm not quite as pleased with it as I thought I would be. The opening video was freakin' awesome, and totally got me pumped up to play. But when I actually got into the game, I was fairly disappointed. If you're expecting cutting-edge (or even fairly-sharp-edge-for-current-games) graphics, you'll be let down like me. They're not "bad", but they're just pretty low detail. But I struggled on despite the lack of eye candy, and it was enjoyable. The story is interesting, the quests have a very "what an MMO would be without other people" feel, which I actually kind of like. It keeps your quest log full of little tasks you can go do so you never feel like you're lost or bored. The AI is nothing to write home about, but it's not bad either. All in all, it feels a lot like a 3D Diablo II, which is pretty much what I think they were going for, so success there. It's a fun game, and seems like something I can enjoy without committing huge blocks of time to, but it's not quite the breakthrough that I thought it would be.
Dude, play HGL in DX10 with everything maxed (though AA will cause a serious fps hit, so I turn that off now) and trust me, the graphics look pretty darn good! Even when I played the beta on DX9, I was impressed with the lighting (light from your guns properly illuminate surfaces. eg. use a lightning gun in a dark tunnel and watch the wall light up).

It's definitely got the 3D Diablo2 feel to it, which is exactly what I expected and wanted. I agree it not a big "breakthrough", but it's the first game that has fully 3D randomized environments. Though eventually you start to see a lot of the same tilesets, I'm only maybe halfway thru the game and I've already seen more tilesets than D2 has, with some notable standouts (eg. Chocolate Park was a nice change from the typical environments). I agree the AI isn't that great, though then again we're dealing with monsters/demons and not humans, so it can be argued there's more of a hive mentality and they're not thinking for themselves. I will say though, they're a lot smarter than monsters in most games (eg. I thought I could perch on a roof and pick them off with my sniper rifle...they stormed the building and ran up the stairs unbeknownst to me. I was kinda impressed with that and certainly didn't expect it).

PS. I agree the opening cinematic was awesome (and probably the best I've ever seen in a game). I can see where after the awesomeness of that, it could be a bit of a letdown going into the actual game, esp. since the cinematic is rendered to perfection, and in order to have done that in an online game would be near impossible. But then again, the same thing applies to WoW cinematics (they look way better than the actual game)...yet people are still addicted to that. lol

PSS. My character is DeadlyMenace (Level 16 Summoner) on the Shulgoth server. Feel free to add me as a friend :)