Sign in to follow this  
Andrewr05

Console mods, especially PS2

Has anyone modded any consoles?

Visually not hardwarily <-- :lol:

My PS2 is currently painted blue and has a CD drive window in it.

I used Krylon plastic paint by the way and it worked incredibly well, since you know the PS2 case is kind of made of plastic... ;)

I don't have any pictures at the moment (kind of a pointless thread then, right?) but when I get it back I'll post up some pictures.

I did the mod approximately 2-3 years ago, I actually used a CD jewel case as the window because I didn't have any plexi, :lol:

also you'll see where I screwed up the paint after i tried to paint a Godsmack logo on it with a stencil...

It looks (or looked, my friend has been borrowing it for about 7 months, I have no idea what condition it is now) pretty darn good too, all I did was disassemble the PS2, cut the CD "keep in placey thingamajig" so that only the bare minimum would hold the CD, measured where the window would go, cut hole in case, painted the 2 case pieces and let them dry 25 mins, crappily cut CD jewel case to fit previously cut hole, hot glued it in place :D, reassembled case, then I stood back and marvled at my creation...

BUT

(there is always a but)

The next week I decided that it wasn't enough so I figured I'd print out the Godsmack logo on some cardstock, I then crappily cut out the design.

Then I paced the stencil below the window with tape and sprayed it with fluorescent orange paint.

:rolleyes:

Needless to say the orange paint felt like not cooperating and it ran everywhere, I then grabbed a rag and tried to wipe as much off as I could, of course for no apparent reason the blue paint decided that it wanted to come off as well...

I was pissed off at that point so I gave up on it and decided that it was good enough...

That is pretty much how it has been since I modded it...

Boring long grammatically incorrect stories FTW!!

Anyways...

I have decided that I'm going to PIMP out my PS2 with:

• New paint job (any suggestions on color? maybe I'll redo it with the blue because it near identical to OCC blue and add some OCC orange accents?)
  • A bigger window made out of actual Plexiglas and molding instead of hot glue to keep it in place
  • A handle (you know because everyone moves their PS2 frequently enough to need a handle)
  • EL Wire in the window somewhere, possibly outlining the CD "keep in placey thingamajig"?
  • Possibly some ModdersMesh somewhere?*
  • Possibly an 80mm Quad Orange LED Fan?

Don't bother asking how I'm gonna power the EL wire... <_<

You might be thinking "holy crap all that on a PS2!?" but from what It looks like in my head believe me it won't be as

"n00b pc gaming caseish as you think":lol:

So essentially this started off as a question and then progressed to a "mod story" and then to future mod plans...

Well anyways, END OF LONG POST :D

Edited by Andrewr05

Took apart my spare PS2 today, this was one of the original models, it looks different then my V10 PS2 (the one that is modded)

I took it completely apart (never tore my modded one down this far) and found out that Sony didn't use any TIM on any of the chips, what they used was a silcone pad placed on the Emotion Engine, Graphics Synthezizer, and what I would assume to be the RDRAM... <_<

The heatsink on this one is a lot smaller than my modded one, the V10's were the ones that were quieter, boasted better cooling and had the built in IR receiver for remotes...

Pictures:

siliconetippv5.th.jpg

Silicone Thermal Interface Pad

siliconetiponchipsdl1.th.jpg

Silicone TIP on chips (the heatsink was just pressed onto this)

siliconetiponallbutgraplr5.th.jpg

Pulled off of Graphics Synthesizer

siliconetippulledoffallzs8.th.jpg

Pulled off all chips

emotionengineoa6.th.jpg

Emotion Engine

Hmmmm...

I wonder how well it would work to just put stand alone heatsinks on those 4 components?

Sony's heatsink is pathetic, I mean how well can a heatsink made out of 0.0001 mm thick aluminum work especially when its just sitting on a silicone pad?

Pictures:

ps2heatsinkthicknessqz3.th.jpg

ps2heatsinkvu3.th.jpg

ps2heatsink2ew5.th.jpg

ps2heatsink3ye3.th.jpg

Practically impossible to remove with out tweaking the whole thing...

Those chips probably don't put out that much heat anyways...

Sony's heatsink is pathetic, I mean how well can a heatsink made out of 0.0001 mm thick aluminum work especially when its just sitting on a silicone pad?

Those chips probably don't put out that much heat anyways...

I was going to say if it doesnt need a huge heatsink, why put one in and increase the weight and cost? :P

Sounds interesting though, ill check back later to see the progress B:)

Gives me the idea of just disecting my almost dead ps2's lol

I was going to say if it doesn't need a huge heatsink, why put one in and increase the weight and cost? :P
Yea, knowing Sony though I bet they made it cool just barely enough to be produced...

Any chip that puts out heat can benefit from being cooler...

i havnet opened a ps2 since launch week version 2 and last year version 9. (i tend to open everything i get) i must say the ps2 is the hardest thing i have ever put back togther. since when did ps2 have RDRAM?

siliconetippulledoffallzs8.th.jpg

So what do you think?

You think I could retrofit (ghetto mod) different heatsinks on those chips?

Possibly held on with epoxy?

I bet If I put a whole length window or 2 seperate windows (1 for CD drive and 1 for chip area) It would look pretty good...

Although thats not my main mod goal, for now I just want top repaint it, put a more respectable window in it, and clean up the innards a bit...

Edited by Andrewr05

that mobo doesnt look very appealing to me lol, dunno what you could do it make it look better before putting in a window, maybe go nuts with the UV paint on stuff?

Here's the only "visual" modification I've done to a console:

wups1ez2.jpg

I worked at a vinyl factory for a summer in college :)

There may be other things inside, I don't recall.

Here's my XBOX

side.jpg

top.jpg

tsop flash and a 40 gig hard drive on the inside.

The outside has some bondo, sanding, priming, sanding, priming, sanding, priming, sanding, painting, sanding (well you get the picture.) The emblem is from a 69 olds 442.