Sign in to follow this  
Crow47

Only 2.75GB of ram?

Well this morning I realized I had some ram laying around so I thought I might as well put it in here. Well, I have 4 gigs of ram in here now, and I know that because of the limits of a 32bit OS I won't see all 4 gigs, but my friend has 4 gigs and his and he has 3.25gb accessible to windows. Is there any thing I can do to get that extra .5 gigs of ram back? Or will I just have to live with this?

Well first off let me ask you this how much does your "bios" see when booting your pc up? If it doesn't see all of it then it is a bios issue. You can update the bios to see if that fixes it and if not there should be a setting in the bios to see more then 2 gig in the ram settings also. So you can try this first if you like and see what happens and go from there.

Memory Remap or memory hole feature i think is what it is called, check in the bios for something close to that. Also could be a voltage issue with the ram and your board. And also there could be timing issues also, try setting them up correctly and manually in the bios.

Or perhaps using a built on video card and the bios is getting some of your ram could be another issue also.

The best way to use your 4 gig of ram is by using a 64bit os system. To fully use the whole 4 gig and enjoy it.

Good Day

The 4GB of RAM on a 32 bit system limitation also uses video memory so this could explain some or all of the missing memory. Your better off upgrading to xp 64bit or Ubuntu 64bit

I dont think it has anything to do with vga using , Im not sure what it is but there is a post in the vista area where someone posted their ram amount in XP pro and it was 3.25 gig . I also dont know if it really matters as far as performance that it olny shows 2.75 when in fact it has 4gig.

What in the hell do you do that could possibly use 4Gb of RAM??

I dont understand why everyone seems to think more is better.

I for one know I would rather run a dual channel set of 2x 1GB that is high performance, than to ruin the setup by adding some other crappy un-matched sticks I have lying around just so that I have 4GB.

Im not sure if this applies, but I though you where also locked into 2T ram timings when going with 4 sticks? ~OR is this resolved?

I dont think it has anything to do with vga using

Yes it does. You lose address space for every meg of memory on your video card on top of the ~500 megs you lose for addressing by default.

I for one know I would rather run a dual channel set of 2x 1GB that is high performance, than to ruin the setup by adding some other crappy un-matched sticks I have lying around just so that I have 4GB.

Im not sure if this applies, but I though you where also locked into 2T ram timings when going with 4 sticks? ~OR is this resolved?

I could easily use another 2 gigs of ram on my main rig. Also - 2T timings mean damn near nothing compared to 1T, which almost nobody can run for DDR2 anyway.

RAM speeds and timings make so little difference in speed it's laughable. More RAM, on the other hand, is almost always better.

Dude relaxe : :blink: there are a lot of people using 4 gig of ram , and whos talking about mixing just to have it , all mine are all the same. If you are running Vista it may help when running other memory hog apps.

This the example that I was referring to, notice the os as well as the ram amount

Edited by dling

This the example that I was referring to, notice the os as well as the ram amount

PAE is a pain in the . and slows your computer down a fair amount. If you want to use all 4 gigs get a 64 bit OS.

Especially with a 768 MB graphics card you are eating up a ton of address space with it. I'm betting your friend only has a 256 meg graphics card. :)

If I ever move to 4 gigs (or even 3) it'd be useless with my 1 GB card and a 32 bit OS. I think I have about 300 megs of addressing space open. :P

I running a duel boot sys. using Vista 64 ultra as the second, and you are right it shows all the ram, 4096 to be exac

Edited by dling