Sysdm.cpl Showing Wrong Info?

Jstoneky

Hey guys,

Basically I am Running a E6600 OC'd to 3.4 at the moment with a AC Freezer 7 Pro, and My temps are fine (30 idle, never above 45 full load).

On my System properties, It displays my Clock speed at 3.83, but BIOS, and everywhere else is 3.4ghz. I DID drop my Multiplier to 8 and increase my FSB to 1700, so Im guessing its wrong, Wouldnt make sense anyway, but I'd like a conformation

Also while I'm at it, Is it more efficient to drop my FSB and increase my multiplier, or am I ok as is?

Thanks for the time,

Jeff

so Im guessing its wrong, Wouldnt make sense anyway, but I'd like a conformation

1700 QDR / 4 = 425 MHz FSB

425 x 9 ~= 3.83 GHz

some programs assume that you are using the default CPU multi and calculate the CPU speed as FSB x Default CPU Multi...

CPU-Z v1.41 (the latest version) reports the correct speed

Here is an example of correct CPU speeds and incorrectly calculated (by multi assumption) CPU speeds on my machine with the same CPU, the E6600:

sporthavg8x445dl9.th.jpg

CPU-Z: correct

Orthos & CoreTemp: incorrect

System Properties and 3DMark also detect the CPU speed as ~4GHz for me... so the problem seems to be that *Windows* detects the speed wrong, so programs that rely on the OS speed detection will report the speed wrong

Hey guys,

Basically I am Running a E6600 OC'd to 3.4 at the moment with a AC Freezer 7 Pro, and My temps are fine (30 idle, never above 45 full load).

On my System properties, It displays my Clock speed at 3.83, but BIOS, and everywhere else is 3.4ghz. I DID drop my Multiplier to 8 and increase my FSB to 1700, so Im guessing its wrong, Wouldnt make sense anyway, but I'd like a conformation

Also while I'm at it, Is it more efficient to drop my FSB and increase my multiplier, or am I ok as is?

Thanks for the time,

Jeff

Orthos will show the higher speed like that also if you use a lower than default multi. I am not sure why it does other than it must not detect when the multiplier is changed. I wouldn't worry about what the system properties says.

Yea, Cpu-Z displays 3.4. Thanks for the confirmation.

Also, Would it be better if reset the multiplier to 9 and used 378 for my FSB? When i made the choice I figured the FSB being faster would be beneficial, but I'm not 100% certain.

Thanks again

Edited by Jstoneky

in theory, higher bus speed is better, given the same CPU speed... but the resulting RAM speed/timings might have adverse effects...

this is why using benchmarks, like SuperPi, SiSoft Sandra, PCMark, etc, are good... you can benchmark your own system against itself to assess the relative performance of different settings and choose the best one...