Life Expectancy on OC'd CPUs

snakieee

I know Overclocking can lower Life Expectancy on stuff but how much lower?

Is it that fact the it is overclocked or the heat that lowers the life or both?

Thank you,

Jake

Both contribute to it but there really is no answer to that question. Some chips can crap out after a week of running OC'd, other will take the strain for years without so much as a hiccup. It really all depends on how lucky you are(as well as a few other controllable things such as cooling and whatnot)...

going on statistics alone, a cpu will reach a "useless" performance level before it will die... over clocked or not

:withstupid:

That's been the case for me so far. By the time any of my cpus die, they're pretty much worthless anyways. I never worry about their "lifespans".

:withstupid:

That's been the case for me so far. By the time any of my cpus die, they're pretty much worthless anyways. I never worry about their "lifespans".

I'm not just talking about to the enthusiast market. I'm talking in general... as in too slow to even surf the web.

seriously, how many CPU's have you ever seen just up and die? every dead CPU (not counting DOA)I have seen is directly related to either a surge, dropped / bent pins / mishandled durring install, bad PSU, or fan failure. ALL of which are not a fault of the CPU.

As long as you over clock your system properly like always keep your cpu cooled properly and don't over volt anything theres nothing to worrie about. By the time the cpu would die from ware and tare it be a worthless piece of junk that would belong in the trash anyways.

but like even though it's useless, in a decent environment, i wonder how long an non-oc'd cpu would last. like a Core 2 duo for instance, i'd say a good 15 years?

2 years ago I had a working 386 (if I remember right) in my possession, I would say it has outlived its usefulness. Not sure how old that makes it. Heck, even the things at wal-mart that scan the cd's and let you preview the music are better cpu's than that 386 was.

I still have a working 286 laptop. I've never had a CPU die from old age and I've been overclocking since I built my first computer over 10 years ago.

It'll be useless before it dies even with OC'ing.

the materials are the only consideration. anything will run up to a certain yield point. exceed that and the part fails and the chip fails. dont exceed the materials voltage limitation and youll be find for a long time. i ran my XPm athlon 1.8 at 2.6 for almost 2 years before i accidentally broke the die. thats serious voltage but running on water. it stayed cool enough. it should have lasted alot longer. but even then it would be outdated by now. because even if it had the processing power, any socket A board runs an AGP slot for graphics, and would fold using twice the power of the equivalent current generation chip....so even if its still useful for general applications, other technology (graphics of just power usage) will make it obsolete.

my dad's really old 486/100 still fires up. i had to put in a new battery for the BIOS for him. hes 65, and a journalist so he writes and writes and writes. the thing here is, he is a journalist and not in any way a tech guy. so staying up to date on technology is not on his mind. suddenly he was using outdated wordperfect 5 wich was a format not handled anymore by anything being produced now. (eventually the compatibility software slowly came out but not in time for him) so when he finally got the manuscript off the drive, it wasn't in any recognizable format for anything to see and print. he had to go back through and reconfigure each paragraph on the new software. he keeps that thing around cause it has operable 5.25" floppy drives and theres always tidbits of information on floppies somewhere he remembers he needs for some detail sometimes....because the compatibility is still an issue for those tidbits of historical information he needs.

someday ill get him squared away with the right software so he can finally do away with his history piece and have what he needs on CD or something. actual floppy floppy discs will degrade before long anyway. the only thing thats still usable form the 5.25" era are the storage boxes we used to buy for them....they hold CD's nicely :) i guess an accidental future compatibility they had no idea about.