Investigation, Heatpipes no Fluid or Gas to be Found

road-runner

hmm maybe the pipes are pressurized to the point where its just past the threshold where the gas turns to a fluid, so that any heat will return it to gas. But releasing the pressure will also send it back to a gas phase?

edited for spelling

Edited by apocracy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If I buy a 60 dollar heatsink that claims it uses liquid inside of tubes for cooling, I do not care how well it performs - if I crack that sucker open I damn well better see some liquid!
I agree 100%, I paid for the item expecting it to have "something" other than normal atmospheric air inside of it...

I guess the next logical step will be to install a heatpipe cooler, test its temperatures, then cut the heatpipes and retest while keeping everything else as close to the same as possible. That way we can see if the heatpipes really do anything. I know for a fact that under high load the heatpipes on my XP-90 get hot to the touch, but there is no way to tell if that is from the "evaporating liquid" like we have been told, or if it is just the heat transfering through the skin of the heatpipes.
After these claims it makes you wonder if they took the same designs and just made the pipes into rods (ie: solid instead of hollow) how nice they would work?

I wonder what would happen if you opened them up, splooged some Arctic Silver into them and then re-sealed them?

you would have effectively spent more money on air cooling than would cost for a phase change system.
$60 cooler and $30 in AS5, what deals have I been missing? :blink: Edited by Andrewr05

I thought heatpipes were kind of large? arent they? time to go look at pics on newegg.

edit: after looking at newegg, I have decided that I have no idea how much $ you would have to spend buying as5 to fill up all the heatpipes of an ultra 120, but I think my initial estimates may have been off by allot.

That's discouraging. I hope my XP-120 actually has a wick and some kind of liquid/gas/whatever mixture in it...it cools so well I don't really care but I'd be disappointed to find out I was lied to.

Am I the only to notice that the stuff they cut open are used. At one point even over clocked to death. How much does this play into it? You theoretically could heat up the liquid or gas enough to crack the pipe at a weak point and not even know it. I my opinion I think this test would be a lot more scientific if new ones were at least used. I also agree that no sound could be heard is very weak proof that gas was not in the tube.

I think people should do some reading before assuming they've gotten cheated. It's really quite silly.

First of all, if the thing works, what's your problem? Seriously. Unicorns aside, who freakin' cares how it works? I mean how many of you really looked at the box and went "OH! Liquid in the pipes! Well in that case..."?

Second, how many of these products actually advertise as containing some thermal liquid? Probably very few. You may want to make sure you were promised liquids before you make a fuss about being cheated out of them.