Investigation, Heatpipes no Fluid or Gas to be Found

road-runner

Source

We have now busted open heatpipes from Abit, OCZ, Thermalright, Thermaltake, and Prime Cooler. From all of these heatpipes, the only one where we found a sure sign of fluid was with the OCZ Reaper HPC. Abit's patent states water or acetone is used as a working fluid, but in both Silent OTES heatpipes we had opened, we couldn't find any liquid at all. We were surprised when the Thermalright GPU heatsink hadn't contained any liquid as they are known for being a leader in the cooling industry. Their heatpipes, however, were finely crafted. This is just the start of our investigation and we will be testing more heatpipes to find out if we just had bad samples with some of them or if there is a larger problem at hand. Clearly, not all heatpipes are made equal.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

Thats no good...

Although, some of them may have contained gaseous material that exited immediately as the pipes were punctured...

its awsum of u to check it.. but gas?

i have heard they use liquid only, for more quick effects..

i have striker extreme, i am not sure whats in these pipes, and coolers-master gemini-ii to..

any one no wat these contain inside>?

Edited by get_saif

If they can seal these back up, they could experiment with different fluids. I could see that as being a mod someday, people buy their heatpiped heatsinks only to crack them open and pour oil or rubbing alchohol inside or some other fluid. I wonder how much the performance is affected by the different fluids.

Does it really matter if there is fluid in the pipes? As long as the cooler works well I don't really see the problem.

The only thing that would bother me if one of these companies said they put fluid or gas in there pipes and then you opened one of the pipes and didn't find anything in there.

The only thing that would bother me if one of these companies said they put fluid or gas in there pipes and then you opened one of the pipes and didn't find anything in there.

Thats exactly what the article is about, they claim there is fluid or gas in them and the guy has found none. I guess I should have posted the entire article..