Pentium D and Vista

someone wants a computer. he likes how fast vista starts up on his friends computer that has E6600 (don't think it's over-clocked much) but thing is he barely games. just starts up, and surfs and web and might play a few web or flash games. he was asking me what cpu would be good for him, i tried telling him to get the Athlon 64 X2, but nope, fools set on a intel. i was looking at the cpu benchmarks on tomshardware and i was thinking about sticking a Pentium D for his new machine. would that be a good bet?

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E4500 - Retail---$129.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115031

Intel Dual-Core E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail---$92.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819116052

if all hes doing is surfing the web and playing flash games then the E2180 or even the E2160($84.99) would serve him well.

if hes got the extra cash he could go with the E4x00 series as it has twice the L2 cache but for what hes using it for he might not even see the difference. the e4400 and e4500 were the same price at the egg.

I would personally go with one of the E21x0 series and set the fsb to 1066 rather than the stock 800 and give it a rock solid OC and performance similar to the E6420/E6600's stock speed.

Oh and I wouldnt touch a Pentium D with a 10ft pole. That is unless you like loud, slow, and power hungry computers.

As everyone already said, the P-Ds (especially the first generation 8xxs, which will literally suck up a hundred watts of power at stock, with temps of around 50-60c on stock cooling, even more when you start OCing) If you're buying them new, it most likely isn't worth it unless you get an insane deal.

As already stated, the e2xxx/e4xxx series will be your best bet. Also, the AM2 CPUs in that price range are extremely competitive in pricing and performance, you may also want to check out some of the X2s there.

Also, the AM2 CPUs in that price range are extremely competitive in pricing and performance, you may also want to check out some of the X2s there.
i tried telling him to get the Athlon 64 X2, but nope, fools set on a intel.

Reading ftw!

Uh well the Pentium D was not that bad. It would whack around an FX 60 that cost over $1000 dollars. Well mine would. It was no noisier than any other machine and worked just fine with the same Enermax liberty I still use. I think a lot of you never had one for yourselves and just read from a few whiners about the heat so you Parrot what you heard like it is the Gospel truth when in fact it is not.

When it comes to video rendering the D was just excellent for it. I still have my 950 and it will still run with most any AMD system and in video rendering it will out pace the Allendale but it comes up short against the Conroe. I would definetly build a system for this person based on the 21XX chip it will surpass their skill level for sometime to come.

Oh and here is where I ran my Presler daily. I benched higher but, this was my daily clock.

cpupresler-z.jpg

Liquid cooled of course.

Oh and let's not forget my Preshot!! you remember how bad they were..

so hard to cool and you just could not get the goos speed out of them!!

Here is mine setting a world record on PCMark04 for the 3.2 that still stands.

coolio.jpg

Yes it was Liquid cooled. Same cooler I still use today with my q6600

for this run my Preshot 3.2 was running 4670mhz on a Epox 5PDAJ mother board that cost $70 from Mwave at the time. The board and processor are still running today!.

Air cooled witha Zalman 9500 and a daily clock of 4126mhz.

Well when I see people whacking hardware I usually just stop and remember that most of the time they did not own it and if they did they were new to computing and did not fully understand how to get the full potential from the machine.

Oh and here is that HWBOT for you too.

hwbot.jpg

WZ

Edited by weldzilla

ummm... FX-60's will smack that thing across the floor. and if you're still paying $1k for an FX-60... you must be living in the past.

factor in that the FX-60 was no only faster than any of the Pentium D's but also had a higher overclock ceiling to it as well.