Wii Wii Wii

Hateboy

Actually, i think you said the exact same thing Verran did. Just longer. :D

Basically, but he also goes into a lot more detail on how it could potentially bite them in the long run. Like cc said, only time will tell. And even then, who's to say if they'd have done any better or worse with a different strategy. We can all back-seat drive as much as we like, but we don't really know.

I think the best point he made, and one that makes the most sense to me, is that they just didn't expect the demand. I mean the hardcore console crowd was bashing it before it even launched. And look now. It's top in sales, even against consoles that have been out twice as long. It was just unexpected. So what could they do? They could dump a whole bunch of money into more production, flood the market, lose the "mystique", and shoot themselves in the foot. Instead, they just stayed on track, slow and steady, and I think they're VERY happy with that decision now.

The head Nintendo guy even came out about a month ago and flat-out said "We will not meet demands for Wii's this holiday season." That may have made a few people kinda bummed, but you can guarantee that you won't see any Wii's rotting on retail shelves come Christmas. Parent's are going to be foaming at the mouth to get one for junior. And that's exactly what Nintendo wants.

Yep, as long as they don't leave that demand unquenched for too long they'll be fine. :)

[OT: i think anyone who considers themselves a "hardcore" gamer and bashes on the Wii for being weak or "for kids" (while proclaiming the greatness of the 360 or PS3) isn't really hardcore... i'd consider them more of a mature or adult oriented gamer (or even a *gasp* superficial gamer), but not really hardcore... i like to reserve that term for those who appreciate fun games regardless of system.] :D

[OT: i think anyone who considers themselves a "hardcore" gamer and bashes on the Wii for being weak or "for kids" (while proclaiming the greatness of the 360 or PS3) isn't really hardcore... i'd consider them more of a mature or adult oriented gamer (or even a *gasp* superficial gamer), but not really hardcore... i like to reserve that term for those who appreciate fun games regardless of system.] :D

LOL. As a bit of clarification, I use the term "hardcore" in a somewhat mocking tone. I think of them as the people who couldn't possibly comprehend why anyone would spend less than 8 hours a day on their console. :P Really, they're just bitter because the Wii doesn't cater to their gameplay style, and because it's been successful despite it's weak tech-specs. After all, the only way a game can be good is if it has HD graphics. :P That's why so many millions of people still love going back and playing those classic NES games... Wait, :O , those aren't HD at all!

:lol: I know. :) I too was thinking back to other comments i've read about the Wii from such hardcore gamers and all i could do was shake my head and roll my eyes a bit.

I was actually thinking about this earlier today and almost made a new thread on it... "How do you define a hardcore gamer and are you one?"

Ok, back on topic! :D

Well thankfully I am not a hardcore gamer lol, I did however use to play International Conflict for 10hrs straight every sunday LOL. but now i have somewhat of a more interesting life and I actually go out and speak to humans on a daily basis lol.

Well I'm here in England. 2 weeks ago, I got up after midday, sat down and ordered a Wii at retail price. It arrived a few days later.

They are selling very fast. When I placed my order, there were 350 at Gamestation. Barely 90 minutes later, all sold out! Good luck on your quest though. I'm really enjoying Wii Sports with the GF and also Zelda: Twilight Princess. TW2008 isn't as good as I hoped for though. Ah well. RE4 next I think!