Sign in to follow this  
peshewah

New type of internet I never heard of

I live in Missouri out in the sticks. I called a company that offers a internet service other than satallite dish kinda thing. This company places a antana on local water towers and one on your house. The cost is $300 set up, $35- $150 a month for service.The salesman/installer says I can game on it. He also says the $50 a month package will do the same as the $150 package. $150 is for bragging rights only and he sells alot of it. It suppsed to be 512/512kpbs. The name of the company is Total Wireless. Has anyone know of a service like this?

yea i've heard of satelite internet. ive heard it doesnt work for everything though, its almost like limited internet. and those speeds are horrible I would never survive with 512 download lol. i pay 60 bucks a month for cable internet and i get 6k/700.

I dont think you could game lag free with 512 speeds.

Edited by virus

I live in Missouri out in the sticks. I called a company that offers a internet service other than satellite dish kinda thing. This company places a antana on local water towers and one on your house. The cost is $300 set up, $35- $150 a month for service.The salesman/installer says I can game on it. He also says the $50 a month package will do the same as the $150 package. $150 is for bragging rights only and he sells alot of it. It supposed to be 512/512kpbs. The name of the company is Total Wireless. Has anyone know of a service like this?

Yes I have heard of it, we have it around here. Its a wireless ISP. I had bought all my own equipment, Grid Antennas, Amplifiers, etc. trying to reach there signal, then they came through my area with cable so I took it instead. That is not a very fast speed 512/512 though, but it is a lot better than dial-up. They were supposedly getting 5Mb speeds out of this service here.

I live in Missouri out in the sticks. I called a company that offers a internet service other than satallite dish kinda thing. This company places a antana on local water towers and one on your house. The cost is $300 set up, $35- $150 a month for service.The salesman/installer says I can game on it. He also says the $50 a month package will do the same as the $150 package. $150 is for bragging rights only and he sells alot of it. It suppsed to be 512/512kpbs. The name of the company is Total Wireless. Has anyone know of a service like this?

wait, so it's not satellite? it's some guy putting an antenna on a watertower? um.....thats seems weird. So whats the point of the 150 dollar package? So you can brag and tell other people you pay too much for internet? I'd definitely look into other means of getting internet.

yea i've heard of satelite internet. ive heard it doesnt work for everything though, its almost like limited internet. and those speeds are horrible I would never survive with 512 download lol. i pay 60 bucks a month for cable internet and i get 6k/700.

It's not satellite...

My grandparents have a similar service, they live in the country of MN (no DSL or cable service there, satellite is way to expensive, and dialup just stinks) and signed up for a wireless service. They gave them a dish, and hooked it up for free, and the dish is pointed horizontally towards town where there's a broadcasting station. Name of the company is mvtvwireless. I wasn't too impressed with it though, doesn't get very good signal during storms, and the fastest I've seen it is at about 100k, almost twice the speed of dial-up :rolleyes: But it is better, and the price wasn't too bad, I forget what it was though.

It does sound like an ok deal, but I'd stay with the $50 package, if you're paying 150 a month, you might as well go satellite, which I believe is faster than that (horrible latencies come to mind though). So do you already know you're out of range for DSL/Cable?

EDIT: Found it. Link They have the 96k service for $30 a month.

Actually that's probably more than enough for multiple people. The upload is good, the download is a little on the slow side but 64 KB/s is far more than most games use downstream.

umm i never seen dial-up go faster than 5kb/sec. i would be using dial up right now if it could go 50kb Unforgivin and save me some $$

It's OK if all you do is browse the web and check e-mails. We have this "Clearwire" service out here that is pretty much a modem/antenna that you plug into your computer that receives the signal from little transmitters placed on top of the local cell phone towers. The service is "OK" at best, but coverage is VERY scant, and when I used a clearwire modem with "very good" reception to ping a local server, packet loss was outrageously high. I'd steer clear of anything wireless for now, especially if I do anything more than browse the intarwebs.

I live in the UK but a friend of mine in indiana is getting this new wireless service. I think it works like this, They get as close as they can to your said location using Cable or ADSL then put up multiple wireless repeaters untill you get a decent signal. These are industrial antennas and super repeaters so signal loss is i suppose somewhat minimal. My mate will be made up when its installed this week because his 56k dial up has been the baine of his life for the last 2 years or so. Hope it works out for you to :D

The company I work for offers this service. It is a wireless radio type signal that is line-of-sight based. However, our prices for that slow of speed is much less. lol

EDIT: Hateboy, if your friend is Indiana he might be one of our cusotmers. :) lol

sounds kind of like Clearwire. They use their own radio towers though, and you can take your modem with you to anywhere you have power and get service. Its pretty cool. No need for hot-spots. They are 1.5mbps down though...

umm i never seen dial-up go faster than 5kb/sec. i would be using dial up right now if it could go 50kb Unforgivin and save me some $$

That's because it doesn't and I don't recall seeing anyone say it did.