Overclocking my Q6600 leads to reboot no matter what

LaxInThe303

The only time I've seen the clock get out of sync like that is when the CMOS battery is dying, but I doubt that's the case here. What did you do to test stability?

:withstupid: I agree if the battery is weak it will loose time. Maybe you need to sync the clock and change the time server.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:withstupid: I agree if the battery is weak it will loose time. Maybe you need to sync the clock and change the time server.

I ran Prime95 for half an hour to test stabliity. I mean I play a game that basically taxes my CPU the same as Prime, it's VERY CPU intensive. It's now been like 3 days and no crashes. I had one hard freeze, but I think it was unrelated to the OCing.

passing a 30min OCCT test is a pretty good indicator of stability :)

I ran OCCT for 8 hours straight (Overnight, so maybe a little more than 8 hours). The only affect was that Windows wallpaper turned off (?!), but the thing didn't shut down, and here I am and it's still up. Not only that, but I was running BitComet while the OCCT test had my CPU at 91%+ all night, and my CPU never got above 33c (Thanks Ninja!).

So can that be considered stable or not?

Because the Wallpaper turned black/off, I have a feeling that the weak link may be the drivers I'm using for my video card, because when the computer freezes, it's ALWAYS when I'm doing a lot of graphical things, like opening large video files.

Do you ever get artifacts? If you get freezing when opening video files, try uninstalling any codec packs you may have and reinstalling. Otherwise, it could be bad RAM on your video card causing problems.

PS. How are the temps on your video card?

I ran OCCT for 8 hours straight (Overnight, so maybe a little more than 8 hours). The only affect was that Windows wallpaper turned off (?!), but the thing didn't shut down, and here I am and it's still up. Not only that, but I was running BitComet while the OCCT test had my CPU at 91%+ all night, and my CPU never got above 33c (Thanks Ninja!).

So can that be considered stable or not?

Because the Wallpaper turned black/off, I have a feeling that the weak link may be the drivers I'm using for my video card, because when the computer freezes, it's ALWAYS when I'm doing a lot of graphical things, like opening large video files.

If you can run OCCT for 8 hours without it failing, that's pretty durn stable. Ultimately, everyone has their own standards. Most people go for 24 hours for a "full" stability test. Some people do 48 hours. Some people do 4 hours. It's up to you really, but 8 hours is very stable. If you spend a lot of time on the machine and don't want to ever see a blue screen or crash, I'd say one of these days you should do 24+ hours just to be sure.

As for the desktop thing, that's kinda weird, but I wouldn't relate it to the OC necessarily. When an OC is unstable, you usually see much more dramatic consequences than losing wallpaper.

It sounds like your using the overclock utility that came with your motherboard. Most all of those are useless. You need to learn how to overclock through the bios and what settings do what and how to change the settings and voltage. I would suggest reading some of the stickies or pinned topics in the overclocking section to get a basic idea and see what you can come up with. List all of you system hardware in your sig so we know what you have, PSU, memory, etc.

Yeah verran what kind of power supply are you using maybe that might be contributing to why your computer keeps rebooting. I know you verran as a good overclocker so this is something I would suspect that isn't your fault. I hope your doing it from the bios because those programs that come with the motherboard suck monkey balls. I hate the ones from asus and espeacially abit

Yeah verran what kind of power supply are you using maybe that might be contributing to why your computer keeps rebooting. I know you verran as a good overclocker so this is something I would suspect that isn't your fault. I hope your doing it from the bios because those programs that come with the motherboard suck monkey balls. I hate the ones from asus and espeacially abit

uh...verran isn't the one with the issue here :rolleyes: