Overclocking my Q6600 leads to reboot no matter what

LaxInThe303

As the topic says, my Q6600 reboots no matter how little I overclock it. 5%, 10%, 20%, they all lead to the PC not posting, and being reset to my default BIOS settings. What should I be altering to overclock this CPU (Which I bought specifically because of its overclockability).

I have an ASUS P5N32 SLI Plus Mobo with the Nforce 580i chipset. I have a Ninja Rev. B Heatsink, and the CPU runs at 28/29c at idle (That seems high for this heatsink/fan?). I have patriot DDR800 RAM, and an EVGA 8800 GTS with 640meg of RAM. I dont see where the big bottleneck is here?

What should I be increasing when I overclock the CPU? Just voltage? What should the voltage be set on. I didn't want to try above 1.5v for fear of frying something.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like your using the overclock utility that came with your motherboard. Most all of those are useless. You need to learn how to overclock through the bios and what settings do what and how to change the settings and voltage. I would suggest reading some of the stickies or pinned topics in the overclocking section to get a basic idea and see what you can come up with. List all of you system hardware in your sig so we know what you have, PSU, memory, etc.

It sounds like your using the overclock utility that came with your motherboard. Most all of those are useless. You need to learn how to overclock through the bios and what settings do what and how to change the settings and voltage. I would suggest reading some of the stickies or pinned topics in the overclocking section to get a basic idea and see what you can come up with. List all of you system hardware in your sig so we know what you have, PSU, memory, etc.

OK, not using the utility and instead using the BIOS I have managed to OC the CPU 400mhz to 2.8ghz. This isn't bad, but I'm sure that the thing can do more. The only problem is, because of the way the BIOS is setup, I can only change the FSB, and not the CPU clock. So I am running at [email protected] Anything above 1250, and the thing will ALMOST post, but it peters out on me right as its about to tell me the CPU speed. I have tried setting the memory slower (To 5-5-5-15), but it still hangs on me, so I don't think it's the memory. The CPU runs at 38c at load when doing the Prime95 stress test. It runs at 28-29c at "idle" (My vista is never truly idle these days). What are some options i can tweak in my BIOS that may let me get to or above 3.0ghz, I don't think heat is what's stopping me right now.

Sounds like you need to increase your core voltage a little bit. Try bumping it up like 0.1v and see if you can overclock a bit higher.

Just make sure you watch your temps once you start increasing voltage. Right now, your temps look very good, but they'll go up with more volts. Also, don't get carried away. Increase voltage slowly and read up on what the max voltage should be for your chip.

Sounds like you need to increase your core voltage a little bit. Try bumping it up like 0.1v and see if you can overclock a bit higher.

Just make sure you watch your temps once you start increasing voltage. Right now, your temps look very good, but they'll go up with more volts. Also, don't get carried away. Increase voltage slowly and read up on what the max voltage should be for your chip.

Could minute changes really make that big of difference? I was increasing things by one volt! I haven't overclocked in a couple of years, so this whole system is new to me. I appreciate all of your help!

Could minute changes really make that big of difference? I was increasing things by one volt! I haven't overclocked in a couple of years, so this whole system is new to me. I appreciate all of your help!

1 volt?! That's insanity! If you raise your core voltage by one volt you will fry your chip. Most motherboards won't even let you go that high. I recommended 0.1v for a reason. <_<

You can't just go around maxxing out your settings and calling it "overclocking". If you want to do it right, you go slow and steady. Don't knock it until you try it. Try going up by 0.1v at a time on the vCore. I bet your OC will increase.

What's your RAM? 1250 = ~313MHz memory clock (if you have the divider default). DDR2-800 is 200Mhz memory clock, so if you don't have solid OCing RAM, that could limit you if you don't change the divider.

What's your RAM? 1250 = ~313MHz memory clock (if you have the divider default). DDR2-800 is 200Mhz memory clock, so if you don't have solid OCing RAM, that could limit you if you don't change the divider.

I didn't OC the RAM, I wanted to make sure I could get a steady CPU OC before I messed with the RAM. So I kept it unlinked, and clocked the RAM at 800mhz.

I agree totally with you verran, you need to take the voltage increases very slowly, I will say that with the CPU clock I usually go up by 5 until I hit an unstable point that voltages cant correct or temps are too high then I will go back to the last 5 mark and increase by 2 then when its unstable, I will increase by 1, gots to get that last 8MHz, well at least if you are like me and have it down on a 8x multi :)

Yes they do, on my Gigabyte boards I get 2 Bus Speed per increment of CPU voltage as a general rule.