Thinking of upgrading my computer...

I'm going to bump this with a question, can someone link me directly to some good ram? I've read now that Corsair is too unpredictable to get, and I can't find this on the DDR2 ram list, and I'm not thinking straight due to insomnia.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=75638 ;)

EDIT: And I would like to point out that if you think you need RAM like that, you'll be spending literally four times as much for a 0-2% potential increase in performance.

Edited by Bleeble

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=75638 ;)

EDIT: And I would like to point out that if you think you need RAM like that, you'll be spending literally four times as much for a 0-2% potential increase in performance.

I just want ram that will allow me to overclock well. Preferably 2x 1gig, 4x 1gig, 2x 2gig, or 4x 2gig. I'd really like at least 4gigs total, but I don't suppose I need 4 or 8 gigs.

Edited by LivingGhost

I just want ram that will allow me to overclock well. Preferably 2x 1gig, 4x 1gig, 2x 2gig, or 4x 2gig. I'd really like at least 4gigs total, but I don't suppose I need 4 or 8 gigs.

I take it you're running a 64-bit OS then? Because that's what you'll need for 4GB. Unfortunately, it seems that the 64-bit versions of XP and Vista are horrible messes, especially when it comes to drivers. :unsure: That said, if you multi-task as much as you say you do, then you'll very likely benefit from 4GB of RAM. But 8 is just ridiculous...

Anyway, RAM... My Crucial Ballistix OCed to DDR2-1050 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2V. I probably didn't/don't need that much voltage though (just too lazy to test). I know I could have probably gone farther, but my mobo doesn't seem to like anything other than a x2 RAM multi and my CPU hits a wall at 525 FSB (raising vDIMM, vCore, and vMCH wouldn't get me past 525). It's only $50 after rebate right now. If money isn't an issue and you want guaranteed speeds, you could always get something rated higher than DDR2-800, but be prepared to pay for it. Keep in mind that the chances of getting above 550 FSB is pretty slim, so the fastest RAM you might "need" is DDR2-1100. Even then you can use higher CPU multis to keep the FSB down a bit.

I couldn't really tell you how 4x1GB or 2x2GB sticks will OC right now. If you want more than 2GB of RAM, your best bet would be to see what OCs others are getting and what kits they're using (when it comes to overclocking, OCC and XS are the only places worth checking IMO; everywhere else is just filled with idiots and nobody is really serious about hardware). Looking at prices, it's cheaper to go 4x1GB and that seems to be what most people are doing now. I'm guessing it's because the 2GB sticks don't OC as well and, more than likely, the price difference.

Edited by Bleeble

I'm going to be using Windows Server 2008.

I'd like to spend around $400 for all of the RAM.

And, I've noticed that no one really knows what in the hell they're doing outside of here. What about DIY/DFI Street? Are they worthwhile to check out?

Edited by LivingGhost

Still sticking with AM2? If you are, go with Foxconn. They have their 680i SLI motherboard, best overclocking record.

Care to post a link of an AM2 board with the 680i chipset on it? I may just be looking in the wrong places but I've only ever seen 680i on intel boards...