Extremely high Intel Q6600 temps. PLEASE HELP

mikawber

Well I built my first computer back in the end of August. I have been getting really high cpu temps, usually around 50 C during idle and up to nearly 80 at full load. I checked the heat sink and fan to see if it was loose or unbalanced and it didn't seem to be. However, I remounted it, removed the stock thermal compound, and added a thin line of Arctic Silver 5. The temps have not decreased at all. I have really good air flow and the room temperature is usually 74-80F.

Specs:

Intel Q6600

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6

Rosewill RP550-2 ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply

Antec Nine Hundred

Screenshots of temp monitors:

Idle

Load

I realize something is extremely messed up, but I don't see any performance problems. I need help asap please I don't know what to do and I've looked everywhere. Thanks

Well I built my first computer back in the end of August. I have been getting really high cpu temps, usually around 50 C during idle and up to nearly 80 at full load. I checked the heat sink and fan to see if it was loose or unbalanced and it didn't seem to be. However, I remounted it, removed the stock thermal compound, and added a thin line of Arctic Silver 5. The temps have not decreased at all. I have really good air flow and the room temperature is usually 74-80F.

Specs:

Intel Q6600

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6

Rosewill RP550-2 ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply

Antec Nine Hundred

Screenshots of temp monitors:

Idle

Load

I realize something is extremely messed up, but I don't see any performance problems. I need help asap please I don't know what to do and I've looked everywhere. Thanks

Wow, that is hot, what heat sink and fan are you using? Are you sure its fastened and making contact? How did you apply the Arctic Silver 5?

what the heck?! That can't be right. 100C???? Your CPU would fry. I don't have my Q6600 installed yet, and I haven't used Core Temp, so I'm not sure if there are settings you have to pick, like specific probes and whatnot, but something can't be set correctly there. That's just insane.

Wow, that is hot, what heat sink and fan are you using? Are you sure its fastened and making contact? How did you apply the Arctic Silver 5?

I am using the stock heat sink and fan. I followed the directions on their site on how to apply it so I'm sure I did it correctly.

When sitting in the BIOS, the Current System Temperature reads 26C and CPU Temperature is at 58C

Edited by mikawber

I am using the stock heat sink and fan. I followed the directions on their site on how to apply it so I'm sure I did it correctly.

With that kind of temperature, I have to ask, you did plug the fan in didnt you, and its working?

With that kind of temperature, I have to ask, you did plug the fan in didnt you, and its working?

All temperatures are in celsius and yes I plugged the fan in, I can see it spin and the bios reads it at 1900-1950 rpm

If you cleaned all the old thermal paste off with Arctic clean and primer, or used some high percent alcohol and everything was clean and applied the new like Artic Silver says, the only thing it can be is the heatsink is not making full contact some how..

when you say a "thin line" of AS5, you mean a thin "layer" right? If you put too little (not covering the whole die after heatsink presses down and disperses it) or too much (after the heatsink is pressed down, it pushes the AS5 so it actually goes over the edge of the die), that can have a serious impact. I would take the hsf off, clean the as5 off of the hsf and the cpu with rubbing alcohol or goo-be-gone or similar substance, then reapply. Normally you should wait about 24 hours for the AS5 to settle to get your "normal" temps, but I don't know if I'd risk my PC being on that long at those temps. If you still experience temps that high after reapplying once again, then call Intel and tell them they sent you a bad HSF, or better yet, buy a third-party hsf.

EDIT: You can see from these charts that the Intel stock hsf sucks, regardless of whether what you have is a lemon or not.

when you say a "thin line" of AS5, you mean a thin "layer" right? If you put too little (not covering the whole die after heatsink presses down and disperses it) or too much (after the heatsink is pressed down, it pushes the AS5 so it actually goes over the edge of the die), that can have a serious impact. I would take the hsf off, clean the as5 off of the hsf and the cpu with rubbing alcohol or goo-be-gone or similar substance, then reapply. Normally you should wait about 24 hours for the AS5 to settle to get your "normal" temps, but I don't know if I'd risk my PC being on that long at those temps. If you still experience temps that high after reapplying once again, then call Intel and tell them they sent you a bad HSF, or better yet, buy a third-party hsf.

EDIT: You can see from these charts that the Intel stock hsf sucks, regardless of whether what you have is a lemon or not.

OK I will do that as soon as possible. What should be a "normal" idling temperature for each core?