hard drive question

gbp007

I have a compaq presario BW 5000T that i bought brand new back in the year 2000 and it came with a 40GB hard drive and i wanted to know if its possible to replace it with a 160GB and will it be able to handle it ? any help is appreciated...

• 3 weeks later...

You most certainly can replace that 40GB hard drive with a 160GB. The only thing you really need to look for is the connection type of the hard drive you are replacing. If it is using a nice gray ribbon cable, it is an IDE hard drive and that's the type of drive you should replace it with. If it just uses a skinny little cable, it is SATA. Judging by the age of the computer, it will probably be IDE, but you will want to check just to be safe.

I think the worst case scenario is it might only recognise 136 GB of it if either the BIOS or the OS doesn't support 48-bit LBA (logical block addressing)

the solution in this case would be a bios update and/or OS update/upgrade

:withstupid: Depending on what you are planning on doing with the computer I suggest an os upgrade its probably a ME machine and nrg is correct an older bios might not recognize the full storage capacity. I would try windows 2000 on it or you could join the dark side I guarantee gentoo linux would work on that box but first things first pop in the drive and see what size your boot up sees. Then you may have to upgrade your bios but I am sure you should be able to add a 160 gig Edited by Desja