The $75 E2140

Ruisu

E1240 - 1.60GHz - 1MB L2 Cache - 8x Multi

SLA3J L2 Stepping - Pack date: 8.2.07

I got shafted on the stepping, because the M0 came out before August <_<

Stressed it for a few hours in XP with Orthos Prime beta. XP beats Vista with the same settings in CPU-Z :rolleyes: but oh well, Vista is pretty. The temps in XP were 86C during that (but the cores were reading ~75C???).

Going to stress it tonight, don't know about 24-hours but for a while. Here's what it easily does with the stock HSF:

100percentoce2140qo6.jpg

100percentoce2140bp9.jpg

Vcore 1.385, NB 1.37, SB 1.70 (that might be unnecessary, not sure why I even jacked that up).

What do you guys think about the 86C temperature? I feel comfortable with the voltages, but I don't know if these temps are okay. I know my Core Duo can hang out at 100C (the fan went terminally ill and it did that for a while...).

I left those power features on, I can't even remember what their called (C something and E something). So, they will kick in if the temps go too high right? Sorry, been a while since I had an Intel desktop.

I can get it to 3.6GHz (450x8) but it'll fail orthos pretty fast (the temps reach the 90s).

Still, both CPU and HSF, not bad for $75.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow no chip should be going over 70C period. at 100C that core duo wont last a year. do you have any thermal paste on the heatsinks? what is your case fan setup like? what heatsinks are you using? the cores on the newer intel dual core chips run pretty cool and under most circumstances should idle around 30c and load around 55C with the stock settings and cooling.

OR your temp sensors are WAY off.

Very nice overclock, but it is to be expected. It's after all just a trimmed down version. Even so, it's still a killer chip once overclocked.

The temperatures seem normal for the amount you pushed it. Double the speed, double the temperature seems like a reasonable amount

and that with only the stock HSF. Would love to slap my pelt w/c system on there and see what it does.

The temperature is a bit high, we know intel can handle the high temp, but it's not advised to run it at that temperature.

Some chips can handle more heat than others depends on the fab. Some people like to think of it as CPU = Human, then

keeping it around body temperature :)

C2D's have a max die temp of around 68C i think, or 85C which ever doesn't matter, cause each chip's die temp is different.

Best is to look it up, see what the limits are and then keep it with in the range your comfortable with.

:D i just like having my cpu run at icey temps cause i can :D

Hey guys, thanks for confirming my suspicions. Lol about the 100C Core Duo, I don't think it was that hot for more than a few minutes. I shut it down and removed tjhe bottom cover, letting the laptop cooler do the job for a few days (did pretty great actually) until the replacement came (didn't do as great).

Sure did put some AS5. I usually spread the stuff over the entire CPU or anything else with a HS. This time I just put it in the center and evened it out from there. I'm pretty sure it's not covering the entire chip this time. Should I redo that?

Anyway, I think it's stable, and I would go ahead and test stability at 3.4GHz or 3.6Ghz, but you guys have freaked me out. :mellow:

orthos16h30mdn7.jpg

injijagwalaafq, if you want one, look for the SLA93. It's C1E power is 8W instead of 12W, and the Thermal Spec is 73.2

Hey guys, thanks for confirming my suspicions. Lol about the 100C Core Duo, I don't think it was that hot for more than a few minutes. I shut it down and removed tjhe bottom cover, letting the laptop cooler do the job for a few days (did pretty great actually) until the replacement came (didn't do as great).

Sure did put some AS5. I usually spread the stuff over the entire CPU or anything else with a HS. This time I just put it in the center and evened it out from there. I'm pretty sure it's not covering the entire chip this time. Should I redo that?

Anyway, I think it's stable, and I would go ahead and test stability at 3.4GHz or 3.6Ghz, but you guys have freaked me out. :mellow:

injijagwalaafq, if you want one, look for the SLA93. It's C1E power is 8W instead of 12W, and the Thermal Spec is 73.2

Lol, I was quite taken back when I saw 3.2ghz in your first post, that's a 1.6ghz 100% overclock! :lol: Last year, nobody would've ever thought this possible with cheap, average equipment.

But I agree with the rest, a better HS should be your next purchase if you plan on keeping it OC'd long-term. 65c-70c is the usual limit.

Edited by The Unforgivin