Direct X 10 for XP?

alleyezonme3

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not run it natively?
Cause I still wanna be running other apps on that rig? I only have my main rig in my sig (and a laptop, which does have Ubuntu Linux 5.10 installed ;)), but I'm not gonna run the rig that I play games on, watch movies on and do whatever on with Linux, cause as you might know, it's a PITA sometimes!
Any university pretty much. The only catch is you have to be attending. :P
I'm in high school still ;) And buying a new computer ... who'd do that? For me it's DIY :P

The driver issues (incompatible drivers or no drivers) of Windows Vista are not Microsoft's fault, are the lack of working drivers for Linux the creator of that distro's fault?

I think not...

If you buy a piece of hardware that has no drivers for an Apple computer is that Apples fault?

nope

Why then would Microsoft be at fault for 3rd party hardware not having drivers or having drivers which conflict with other things?

The driver issues (incompatible drivers or no drivers) of Windows Vista are not Microsoft's fault

This is 100% true. However, you're assuming that we care who's to "blame".

You can put the blame on Bill Gates, Microsoft, Nvidia, Santa Clause, or the Easter Bunny. The fact is the hardware isn't working, and it would be with XP. In a side-by-side comparison, Vista loses the hardware compatibility category. Blame whomever you choose, but it loses.

I have thought about this but you have to have 64 bit Linux to run SMP folding. The problem I found just trying to use it for web is there is no 64 bit java or flash for it.

So again...why would you even care about Vista SMP support for it (and it DOES support it) if you were going to be running 64-bit Linux? Virtualized 64-bit Linux is slooooow on a 32 bit host, defeating the point of running a virtual machine for SMP in the first place.

http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-SMP.html

Cause I still wanna be running other apps on that rig? I only have my main rig in my sig (and a laptop, which does have Ubuntu Linux 5.10 installed ;)), but I'm not gonna run the rig that I play games on, watch movies on and do whatever on with Linux, cause as you might know, it's a PITA sometimes!I'm in high school still ;) And buying a new computer ... who'd do that? For me it's DIY :P

So why is that a problem with Vista? <_<

If you wouldn't be running it on the machine with Vista why does it matter? If you would be...why the heck would you run it in a virtual machine instead of natively?

Does not compute.

You can put the blame on Bill Gates, Microsoft, Nvidia, Santa Clause, or the Easter Bunny. The fact is the hardware isn't working, and it would be with XP. In a side-by-side comparison, Vista loses the hardware compatibility category. Blame whomever you choose, but it loses.
I agree, XP over Vista in my opinion, I was just clarifying that the driver issues weren't Microsoft's.

That doesn't matter though, it still blatantly has issues...

Back to the original subject: Here's a little snippet from the May 2007 Issue of Maximum PC,

Here's something else we learned at GDC (Game Developers Conference, San Fran.): We all know that the only way to get DirectX 10 is to buy Vista, but there's actually nothing about the new API that would prevent Microsoft from releasing a version for Windows XP, although that's unlikely to ever happen. "That wasn't just a business decision," said Chris Donahue, Microsofts group manager for Games for Windows. "We wanted to make Vista a dividing point between DX9 and DX10, so we could leave the legacy content behind. And Vista offers a lot of benefits beyond DX10 games. I think there's enough value in the stability and performance it offers."

I can't say whether Vista's good or bad....I've never used it but if I had a choice between just upgrading to DX10 on my XP machines and Vista I'd take the upgrade in a heartbeat B:)

So again...why would you even care about Vista SMP support for it (and it DOES support it) if you were going to be running 64-bit Linux? Virtualized 64-bit Linux is slooooow on a 32 bit host, defeating the point of running a virtual machine for SMP in the first place.

http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-SMP.html

So why is that a problem with Vista? <_<

If you wouldn't be running it on the machine with Vista why does it matter? If you would be...why the heck would you run it in a virtual machine instead of natively?

Does not compute.

I should have been more clear in my post, I am not the one knocking vista. I have not even seen vista much less tried it. I was just commenting on running linux natively as my main PC and no java or flash is why I dont. I currently am running native linux 64 bit on 6 rigs for folding and I like it....

Virtual 64-bit Linux is everything else BUT slow using the SMP folding client. I'm running virtual Linux to run the Linux SMP client, cause it's a hell of alot faster than the NATIVE Windows client!

Does not compute.

I was talking about Linux, as you said "why not run it natively?".... <_<

This shows that you do not do SMP folding... the Linux SMP client is much more stable than the Windows SMP version.

Why use the Linux SMP client in VMWare? Because I don't use Linux as a primary OS!

It's NOT slow at all, do you even use VMWare?!

I use XP Pro SP2 primarily because it does EVERYTHING I need it to, full compatibility with all games, drivers, apps... everything and I mean everything I use

I can't say the same about Vista Business x86 or Vista Ultimate x64 (the other two options on my triple item bootloader)

So, I use Ubuntu64 inside VMWare (around about 8% performance hit for the convenience of not having to reboot and effectively have a USELESS computer)

Why is Linux alone useless? Because of MS only apps, they exist, and if you start screaming alternatives then you are stupid.

I use XP Pro SP2 and Slackware, together at the same time, for development of software for multiple platforms. Rebooting to switch OSs is a retarded idea when I can just share files between them or transcribe information. Having Ubuntu64 running also, folding away in the background, just makes sense.

Right now, Vista offers me NOTHING at all, and I mean nothing. There is no point to make it my primary OS. There is no point to make Ubuntu64 my primary OS.

Why? Because then I would be limited by the OS in what I could do.

If you can't see the limitations, fine, use Vista, I can't do everything I need to with it.