Direct X 10 for XP?

alleyezonme3

Does anyone know if Microsoft is going to be / has made DX10 for XP?

And if they haven't, can anyone give me a link to the 3rd Party DX10 for XP? (there are a lot of em, I wasn't sure which to get)

Are there any downsides to getting the 3rd party DX10 for XP?

Thanks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think there is, I dont think there will be, I dont think it can be done. DX10 is for Vista, Microsoft likes it that way. Its completely different from DX9 and XP would have to have a complete overhaul to support DX10, which isnt likely to happen.

Sorry

They havent yet and they say they arent going to. I was never aware that there were third party DX10 and Im not sure about their legality but I would image they would be pretty temperamental if they worked at all.

as far i know, it's only just a rumor that dx10 exists for xp. i really dont' think xp can truely run dx10 apps because of changes in the graphics API. sure, there are 3rd party wrappers out there that supposedly allow dx10 to run on non-dx10 cards and non-vista operating systems, but really all those do is emulate a dx10 environment, make the app think the dx10 hardware and software is actually there, and translates that for a dx9 system. you won't notice a difference, and it'll probably make your performance even slower because of the translation time needed.

i may be wrong, but that's how i see it.

2001571011712448041_th.jpg

2001587376469734583_th.jpg

I wouldn't trust the particular source. That source also said there'd be a x1800XT PE, that vista would come out in 2004, there'd be an fx-59, etc etc, and lost credibility and a certain member group status from a certain topic a couple weeks ago.

Edited by The Unforgivin

as far i know, it's only just a rumor that dx10 exists for xp. i really dont' think xp can truely run dx10 apps because of changes in the graphics API. sure, there are 3rd party wrappers out there that supposedly allow dx10 to run on non-dx10 cards and non-vista operating systems, but really all those do is emulate a dx10 environment, make the app think the dx10 hardware and software is actually there, and translates that for a dx9 system. you won't notice a difference, and it'll probably make your performance even slower because of the translation time needed.

i may be wrong, but that's how i see it.

:withstupid: Everything I have read about says it will not ever work with XP...

DX10 is a sort of hoax IMO... Everyone is on about it, yea, gotta grab a DX10 card etc blablabla, but if it is only supported by about the crappiest OS that ever existed (besides Windows ME), and the modern DX10 cards only get like 20 fps in DX10 demos, then why bother?!

DX10 is a sort of hoax IMO... Everyone is on about it, yea, gotta grab a DX10 card etc blablabla, but if it is only supported by about the crappiest OS that ever existed (besides Windows ME), and the modern DX10 cards only get like 20 fps in DX10 demos, then why bother?!

That's what I've been thinking for a long time now. All the craziness over DX10 is really pointless.

Yup, that's why I bought a 1950Pro! :)

I think the same thing. Everyone's making a big deal about how this has DX10 and that doesn't, but who really cares? I've seen side by side shots of BioShock on DX9 and DX10 and it's pretty laughable, IMO. And the "true" DX10 games pretty much cripple even the best video cards, so how far is something like a 8600 really going to get you anyways?

If you go with a DX10 card for performance, it makes sense. But looking specifically for the DX10 capability... that just seems like a waste.