Holy Fast Internet Batman!

hardnrg

holyfastzp7.gif

2.1 MB/s = 17.2 Mbps !!!

UP!

not down... UP! :O

I think I will cry when I finally move off this network and have to get a "normal" residential line with something crap like 1 meg up or 2.5 meg up at the most...

What's the upload speed like in America? In the UK it seems to range from 768 Kbps to 2.5 Mbps for a regular residential line* (could be phone line, cable, or fibre-optic)

* apparently not lol

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the US, it's a lot lower, at least in the places I've been in. There are some nice premium residential services back in AZ with Cox (which raises the upload to 1Mb)

Cable:

256 in 06, North Carolina

512 in 06/07, Arizona

384 in 07, with a different company in NC

With DSL, I know they were a lot slower. however, some fiber business networks I've been on in AZ had 10Mb upload speeds. AZ seems to be an internet hub according to my last comp. tech. teacher.

In NC it's ridiculously slow :( Here in NC, I have the "premium" service of cable, which is 4Mb/384k and often drops to 2Mb during the nights.

In AZ, the standard package was 8Mb/512k, the premium being something like 12-13Mb/1Mb.

My upload speeds don't matter to me though... The only time I really use it is when someone is talking on the phone and using the internet at the same time (internet phone) and the other person on the line says your breaking up. But wow, that is an awesome upload speed. I believe you European guys have way faster internet than we do.

Edited by The Unforgivin

I believe you European guys have way faster internet than we do.

If you live really near a fibre hub, you can get 24M down / 2.5M up... but you'd have to live like inside the exchange or something lol

The main cable provider in the UK (Virgin Media) has a 2M down / 256k up... I don't think I could deal with that!!! Welcome to upload speeds of 10 years ago lol...

For 8meg ADSL (copper-based phone network), the norm seems to be 448 Kbps up, although 768 Kbps to 1.3 Mbps up is often available

ADSL2+ is the fastest residential service in the UK afaik, and you need to be near a fibre-optic exchange, so the coverage is quite limited compared to other services...

I just thought it was strange that upload speeds are as bad now for most people as they were a decade ago...