oc newbie

amikhchi

Okay, i've read the guides on this forum and a few other guides floating around online... i've successfully gotten my computer to 2.8ghz from 2.13 and it went through the 30 minute occt test and passed (i'm assuming as long as it doesn't crash and the temp stays decent, under 55, it passed)... i then tried to get it higher and went to 3.2ghz and it crashed about 12 minutes into OCCT...

here's my question, there are a few options in the bios i'm not sure about

1. i changed only my cpu core voltage, and my memory voltage, but what about cpu fsb and nforce spp, because both of those end up red in the nvidia monitor. what do i do with those?

2. my cpu core is set to 1.3375 right now, i'm pretty sure that's not too high becuase i've heard others going to like 1.5 etc. and i've set my ram to 2.00, i'm going to back down the fsb to 375 and the ram to 750 simply becuase i've been told 1:1 ratio is best... someone told me something about tightening up ram timings to compensate for the lower clock speed, i have no idea what that means, but at optimal (auto) in the bios, the ram timings is 6:6:6:18:2T, and the advanced settings are 3:24:5:10:7.8uS

did i do it properly? all programs list the computer running at the new clock speed, but i get teh feeling i did something wrong.

note: i disabled c1e halt, spread spectrum settings, and forced 100mhz on the pci-e, i also disabled auto-fan control, adn set all fans to 100%

is it safe to say i did everything right, should i NOT leave the other voltages on auto?

CPU FSB

nForce SPP

nForce MCP

HT nForce SPP <-> MCP

those are all on auto, as of now, the only two that are manually set are the cpu core and the memory... which brings me to another question, my memory is oem and it's samsung pc2-6400u but i cant seem to find it anywhere online for specs for the voltage, but i read on another forum i should go to 2v,

basically i'm pretty sure i didn't screw everything up, but any information on little tricks here and there i forgot to do or need to do would really help me out...

long post, sorry

e6420 2.13 c2d

evga 122-ck-nf63 tr

4x1gb samsung pc2-6400u

arctic cooling freezer 7 pro (w/ arctic silver 5 compound)

cooler master centurion 534

rosewill 600w sli-psu

geforce 8800 gts 640 (1)

that should about do it for the specs of my system

Thanks a lot

Edited by amikhchi

Your settings seem alright, but as I don't have a 650/680i SLI mainboard, I dunno 'bout the chipset voltages. Other people will have to help you out there, but afaik, give it volts ... LOTS of volts! My E6400 needs 1.4V's (1.376V real) to go to 3.2GHz, so you might want to try and up the CPU voltage once more :) Other than that, the only thing I can see that is 'wrong' with that build would be the Rosewill PSU, as they tend to suck, but if it works for you...

As for your RAM timings, yes, they are WAYYY loose! What are the sticks specified at? It's probably 5-5-5-12/15, but it could also be 4-4-4-12, which i doubt though, if you say the sticks are OEM. Also, most DDR2 RAM likes 2.1 Volts :)

Volts can be good and they can be bad. The more volts that you give any piece of hardware is going to create more heat, however the more volts that you give a component, the better chance of gaining more stability. Its a win/loose situation there. My E6600 (stock 2400MHz) is currently using 1.44V and is clocked at 3400MHz with a multi of 8x and a Bus Speed of 425MHz, giving me a total FSB of 1700MHz :D

I agree with King about the memory timings, you need to tighten them up. Every motherboard is different in the way that you change the RAM settings. 1:1 ratio is the one I use as well as many other people here at OCC if not almost all of them. By tightening the timings, it basically means have lower numbers which represent the time that the RAM stick takes to perform a certain task.

Hope you have good luck with your OC and enjoy yourself at the same time.

For your OC you will need more vcore, like others have said it will increase the heat output thou, i was able to on the 650 board which i still use get a 3.2 on air stable but temps where 60load running 1.4volts. Now watercooled though i can pull it to 1.5 volts and a 3.7g OC :) Rock Stable just as my wife likes it :). I have left the northbridge and memory all on auto and default, i never bother doing my memory due to its my weakest link on my set up, and planned to change that soon.

Edited by M3NF

do you think i would benifit from ocing my cpu and ram if some one can post a link for a guide for the ram oc specs of my rig are in my sig

OCing will always show a benefit. When you OC the CPU, you OC the RAM. The best way to get help is to make a new topic instead of hijacking this one. ;)