Building A Top End Rig

g1ng3r

I am currently saving money to put towards a top end rig, at around xmas / new year time.

My current thoughts:

Budget -

Edited by g1ng3r

I would probably drop the extreme edition CPU and pick up a cooler along the lines of a tuniq tower. Whats the rig going to be used for? I noticed you've picked out some performance oriented parts but left a small budget for a video card.

I would probably drop the extreme edition CPU and pick up a cooler along the lines of a tuniq tower. Whats the rig going to be used for? I noticed you've picked out some performance oriented parts but left a small budget for a video card.

:withstupid:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor is what was continuously suggested to me. After doing some research, there's really nothing that would cause me to want to spend $700 more for a processor, even if it is unlocked. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of the 680i SLI mobo with the E6850 processor, so hopefully it'll be up and running long before you place your order. Should be able to give you some better opinions then!

My suggestion? Wait until November to pick your parts. ;) Seriously, a lot can change in four months. I'm not trying to discourage you from keeping an eye on prices and whatnot, but still...

I am going to be gaming...I left the gfx card out as I am waiting for somthing new, something more solid for dx 10. As I said, I am going for somthing cheap now, along the lines of a nVidia 7600 / 7800. This should keep me going untill some bada$$ cards come to the market early 08.

My suggestion? Wait until November to pick your parts. ;) Seriously, a lot can change in four months. I'm not trying to discourage you from keeping an eye on prices and whatnot, but still...

I see what you meen m8, but iam just trying to get an idea how long the build is going to take, the cost of parts and when to start buying.

I understand that new *better* things will come out, then if they are in budget...I will update my list.

BTW, the processor is a BIG deal for me...I am planning to keep it along way down the line.

Thanks for you input guys,

G!nG3r.

Edited by g1ng3r

I'm with Bleeble on the waiting till November before putting serious lists together.

Nothing wrong with having a rough build plan.

Just make the decisions that are important, such as whether you really want quad-core (looks like you do) and if you actually plan on using more than one GFX card at some point etc. Then just keep an eye on things, so you'll have a good idea of what to order when the time comes. :)

I'm with Bleeble on the waiting till November before putting serious lists together.

Nothing wrong with having a rough build plan.

Just make the decisions that are important, such as whether you really want quad-core (looks like you do) and if you actually plan on using more than one GFX card at some point etc. Then just keep an eye on things, so you'll have a good idea of what to order when the time comes. :)

Sounds good to me, well...the plan is going well, sli cards are a must for me :), I may buy a single mid range gpu at xmas, then save for some top end ones at around feb - march time (thats if any new ones come out :P)

Then.... :foldon:

Edited by g1ng3r