Introduction to (hopefully) a great relationship!

yshaukat

Greetings experienced and not-so experienced over-clockers,

All I have to say is - wow. I'm so grateful there is a site, forums no less, dedicated to over-clocking.

Obviously I'm new. New to these forums, new to over-clocking, and pretty new at building machines. I built my first PC four years ago. I had an ASUS P4PE, ATI something-or-other GPU, and a bunch of other then-new and now-obsolete parts.

But, my friends, I have embarked on yet another adventure of building a gaming and performance machine - one that I have a substantial budget to cover (compared to at least four years ago), and one that I'm a bit more suited to piece together.

I have questions, though, and these range from inexperienced query to somewhat-interesting. Since I have such a limited range in which to ask (being of "new member" status on the forums) I'll go ahead and start with a few.

Here are my new specs which I have ordered off Newegg this morning:

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW

PSU: Rosewill RP550-2 550W ATX12V v2.01

MB: ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA

GPU: EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3

RAM: mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 PC2 6400

ROM: SAMSUNG 18x DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM Write

Here are my questions - organized so hopefully someone might try and answer all of them.

1. I have bought all of this to run on 32-bit Vista Home Premium, was that a mistake? I am a gamer, and I've heard that if I reinstall my XP that it will just be more hassle later upgrading from it when SP1 for Vista comes out. I've also already bought the Vista O.S.

2. Are all of my specs compatible with each other and with Vista 32-bit Home Premium?

3. Is upgrading from 2GB of mushkin DDR2 800 to 4GB of mushkin DDR2 800 overkill? Are there any games that require it soon, you think?

4. How do I prepare myself to be ready to overclock? I really would like to when I research and familiarize myself with the process.

5. I have bought no fans or heatsinks. Should I invest in some, or do you think stock will deliver the cooling necessary?

6. Is there anything I should read, after preparing for overclocking, that can give me a user-friendly approach to overclocking for my system?

Thank you for all your time!

Yusuf

Aftermarket fans and heatsinks are a must if your going to push your stuff to the max. One thing jumps out at me when I look at your build though. Rosewill PSUs have a reputation for being sub-par. I really wouldnt trust such a machine to a PSU like that.

agreed SMeeD

I dont think that you would need 4GB of RAM, that is going to be an overkill. Most games wont even touch the third Gig

As far as a user-friendly overclocking setup, you wont see it unless you use the software approach, which IMO is a bad idea, its always better to go into the BIOS and change the settings there instead of using a piece of software to manipulate you settings.

In my signature, click the OC basics, OC Software and read up on those two posts to get a little bit of a feel for what Overclocking is and what each setting does, and how you would go about doing things.

I hope that you enjoy your time here, as it is fun. Also click the JOIN THE OCC F@H TEAM link and read up on F@H and obviously join our team :D:foldon:

Here are my questions - organized so hopefully someone might try and answer all of them.

1. I have bought all of this to run on 32-bit Vista Home Premium, was that a mistake? I am a gamer, and I've heard that if I reinstall my XP that it will just be more hassle later upgrading from it when SP1 for Vista comes out. I've also already bought the Vista O.S.

2. Are all of my specs compatible with each other and with Vista 32-bit Home Premium?

3. Is upgrading from 2GB of mushkin DDR2 800 to 4GB of mushkin DDR2 800 overkill? Are there any games that require it soon, you think?

4. How do I prepare myself to be ready to overclock? I really would like to when I research and familiarize myself with the process.

5. I have bought no fans or heatsinks. Should I invest in some, or do you think stock will deliver the cooling necessary?

6. Is there anything I should read, after preparing for overclocking, that can give me a user-friendly approach to overclocking for my system?

First, I want to thank you for writing intelligently, unlike the rest of the hooligans on the internet. It's wonderful finding someone else that knows how to use commas properly. :lol: Welcome to OCC!

1. XP is better for gaming performance. If you want to play DX10 games (Bioshock, Crysis, Hellgate: London, etc.) with DX10 instead of DX9, you need Vista. At this point in time, I don't know if the added DX10 visuals are worth the performance hit you get from running Vista. Maybe someone else can help out with that.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, it is overkill. The only exception might be if you render huge 3D models or like to use huge Photoshop files with lots of layers and effects. Even then, 2GB isn't insufficient. As far as I know, there aren't any games coming out in the near-future that will need/benefit from 4GB of RAM. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it was the de facto recommended amount by the end of 2008, just like 2GB was recommended long before anything needed it. So, just in case there's any confusion from my rambling, don't buy 4GB now.

4. Well, we have a number of overclocking guides in the Overclocking section. Those are a good start. If you're still looking for more information, just remember that Google is your friend. ;) As SMeeD mentioned, you'll need an aftermarket HSF to squeeze the most out of your CPU. As you read our guides, you'll no doubt realize just how important stable power is. I strongly urge you to consider getting a new PSU. Two lines many, including me, like to recommend are the OCZ GameXStream and Corsair HX (any wattages). Another thing that the guides will say, that I repeat here for emphasis, is to avoid "overclocking software." In fact, avoid any kind of automatic overlocking entirely.

5. As I mentioned above, a new heatsink will help you get the most out of your system. When you're just starting out, you can use the stock HSF. Just watch your temperatures. When it's time to upgrade, the current best heatsink is the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. It costs $55 plus $5-6 for a good fan. Before you ask: Yes, other heatsinks will work. Yes, other heatsinks may be cheaper. No, they will not perform as well or better (barring any newly released or yet-to-be released products that I'm not aware of). For fans, I recommend only Yate Loon. Since they're a manufacturer and not just a brand name, they don't needlessly jack up the price. Example: Yate Loon D12SL = $5, Vantec Nexus "Silent" fan = $15. They're the exact same fan! So, unless you want an extremely high airflow (and therefore extremely loud) fan, Yate Loon is the best choice. You can get the Yate Loons and Ultra-120 Extreme at Petra's Tech Shop. Don't worry, they're a reputable store. Other stores may have the same products, but none as cheap.

6. See number 4. And if you can't find the answers you're looking for or need clarification on some things, just post and someone will almost always have the answer. Just make sure you do your research first. If the answer to your question appears on the first page of Google, expect endless ridicule and verbal thrashing. ;):lol:

Now that you've made it through my epic post, I have a random question for you: Where are you from?

Edited by Bleeble

What more can one say on beebles posts, he is just great on these things :)

The only one i go for is the windows vista, i say there is a big difference on dx10, main one to show was playing the bioshock demo, on xp its lost it crisp look, on vista is shines with lots of glory. There is a noticable difference to eye candy no question in my eye's there, so i would happly say stay with vista. The GPU you are getting is the same as mine, OC that also, its very easy using software called rivatuner, once you have a full stable GPU OC then you can bios flash that in to the GPU like i have done. This card is great, every game it will play at full spec, PURE eye candy all the way, so the hit you get with less games on XP you really not be bother like i wasn't, just make sure your using the newest drivers for it and your be more than happy.

As for your memory question i agree there 4 gig is no point, even vista 32 bit will not show it all, 3g it will- 3.5 only, if you have the 64 bit then your be ok. So dont waste your money on that, 2 gig is fine, i have only 2 gig and like i said above, no issue's yet running any game i thrown at my system, thou i now OC my baby e6700 to 3.7 gig now on water cooling, again thanks to this place.

First, I want to thank you for writing intelligently, unlike the rest of the hooligans on the internet. It's wonderful finding someone else that knows how to use commas properly.

:withstupid:

Welcome to OCC :)

The Rosewill PSU would be alright for an everyday machine, but you'll need something a bit more stable for serious overclocking. Also, unless you're doing massive amounts of video editing or photoshop stuff, you'll only need 2gb of ram - as others have said, games won't benefit from 4gb. As for cooling, the Ultra-120 Extreme is the way to go at the moment for air, that is if you don't mind lapping the bottom though - they are known for not having the best finish.

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions and answers.

First, to answer Bleeble, I'm currently in Tennessee although I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. Tennessee is most likely the least predictable state to hail from if you're using any form of proper grammar, although we do generate some dang fine writers - it must be the constant state of boredom.

I've been looking into information concerning my new specs which should arrive tomorrow. I just want to be ready to slap this thing together and see the stability of the PSU and heat, so that I'll know what I need to return and/or upgrade. I hope I luck out and nothing is DOA. Although throughout experience I can't say I'm prone to such luck.

The 550W Rosewill PSU was a decision I made based on reviews over Newegg. It seems, at least on Newegg, that reviewers for PSUs may be more picky than reviewers for Mobos. I have very little knowledge of the inner-workings of PSUs or consensus on the matter of which company provides better equipment, but from what I read on Newegg the Rosewill 550W was stable, had an average efficiency, and was definitely one of the cheaper ones.

If its absolutely necessary I will consider shipping it back and shopping for a new one, although I am extremely excited about constructing my new machine. Plus, any of the better PSUs run a moderate price - after the 8800GTS 640mb and E8650 3.0GHz my pockets aren't feeling nearly as fat as they were when I set out on the mission to build a next-gen system.

In terms of heatsinks and fans, I'm pretty sure everything at stock in my new machine will run fine, maybe a little hot due to the GPU/CPU. Later on I will invest in some new hardware to cover the cooling, but I know I'm not interested in managing liquid coolant. I'm, I guess, a bit old-fashioned in that respect. Well, actually, being nineteen, the word wouldn't be old-fashioned - I suppose I'm just lazy. :rolleyes:

Well... Now I'm worried about the PSU - haha. I should have consulted you gurus before shipping! Ugh...

Thanks again,

Yusuf

The 550W Rosewill PSU was a decision I made based on reviews over Newegg. It seems, at least on Newegg, that reviewers for PSUs may be more picky than reviewers for Mobos. I have very little knowledge of the inner-workings of PSUs or consensus on the matter of which company provides better equipment, but from what I read on Newegg the Rosewill 550W was stable, had an average efficiency, and was definitely one of the cheaper ones.

Yusuf

Welcome and never ever ever believe NewEgg or any retail sites reviews, most are written by people with very little knowledge of what there doing much less what they are talking about...

Welcome and never ever ever believe NewEgg or any retail sites reviews, most are written by people with very little knowledge of what there doing much less what they are talking about...

From the previous posts I read on this board before registering, you're a big name on here. So, what PSU do you suggest?

Oh, and from various input I've read on Google, the ABIT IP35-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Mobo has some severe "double booting" problems. Is anyone familiar with this Mobo or it's reviews? Will this be a major problem or something insignificant that can be overlooked? From the price, the board seemed awesome for non-SLI overclocking and up-to-date compatibility.

:withstupid: You can pretty much ignore everything that Newegg reviews say. Besides, half of them are nothing more than "Newegg rawks!" :rolleyes:

I guess I had a brain fart last night. It's the Corsair HX, not Mushkin. :blush: Anyway, the 700W GameXStream is $100 after a $35 MIR on Newegg. The Corsair 520W HX is $115 after a $10 MIR (Newegg). ZipZoomFly often has inexplicably low prices on PSUs, so check there too.

The parts you have now will work fine. But, once you really start to push your hardware, you're going to want to upgrade your PSU and heatsink.

:withstupid: You can pretty much ignore everything that Newegg reviews say. Besides, half of them are nothing more than "Newegg rawks!" :rolleyes:

I guess I had a brain fart last night. It's the Corsair HX, not Mushkin. :blush: Anyway, the 700W GameXStream is $100 after a $35 MIR on Newegg. The Corsair 520W HX is $115 after a $10 MIR (Newegg). ZipZoomFly often has inexplicably low prices on PSUs, so check there too.

The parts you have now will work fine. But, once you really start to push your hardware, you're going to want to upgrade your PSU and heatsink.

Thanks again, Bleeble. Are you a gamer or do you do this just as a performance buff? I never really got many kicks out of car-parts so I'm directing all my attention to researching PC parts - the nerd route always struck me as more appealing.

I'm at the point in which I'll overclock when it provides a noticeable difference - right now I don't think a 3.0GHz processor/8800GTS 640mb/2gb dd2 800 RAM is going to do me wrong. From what I hear about Bioshock, Crysis, and Project Offset is that they will indeed put the machine to the test. I especially await Project Offset - the game looks like its worth voiding my warranties, haha. :rolleyes: