Can't Connect to local MYSQL Server Through Socket /var/run/mysqld

giganet

Eep. That wasn't all that useful either! I don't think it's got much to do with phpMyAdmin either. I'm sure it's just a case of locating the PHP module...... hm......

How about.......

find / -name *.so -print | grep "php"

*fingers and toes are crossed*

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eep. That wasn't all that useful either! I don't think it's got much to do with phpMyAdmin either. I'm sure it's just a case of locating the PHP module...... hm......

How about.......

find / -name *.so -print | grep "php"

*fingers and toes are crossed*

Hmm, maybe this will help??

mailman@giganetwireless:/var/www$ sudo find / -name *.so -print | grep php
/usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so
/usr/lib/php5/20051025/mysqli.so
/usr/lib/php5/20051025/mysql.so
/usr/lib/php5/20051025/ldap.so
/usr/lib/php4/20050606/mysql.so
/usr/lib/php4/20050606/ldap.so
/usr/lib/apache/1.3/libphp4.so

Thanks Mark

mailman@giganetwireless:/etc/apache$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
* Forcing reload of apache 2.0 web server...			
apache2: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
Unable to open logs

hmm ... can u either post you hosts file ... i think i see the problem for this one ...

root@ubuntuserver:/home/admin# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1	   localhost
127.0.1.1	   ubuntuserver
192.168.1.118   scottmadden.homeip.net

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1	 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

see how i have the doman set to an actual ip (in this case from my router) you may have to put the ipp you server is using in there and then define your domain and then apache wont give you that prob?

EDIT: I have another question ... are you just starting to get this server running? if so i have a good walkthrough for setting up a web/email server if you would like it

Thank you Scott

OK, here is the 'cat /etc/hosts' results, they don't look as your's do at all :huh:

mailman@giganetwireless:/var/www$ sudo cat /etc/hosts
#127.0.0.1 localhost bender
10.0.0.225 bender
127.0.0.1 nat localhost bender giganetwireless.com
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
72.169.152.211 bender-pblc

*YES, I am just starting to get this server running, have been following http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix.

I really need to get this thing up as it serves my own www site, wireless clients email accounts, and also a couple other www sites I host for others too!

Got sick and tired of iPowers nickel and dime approach to support every time a server issues arrises I need to shell out cash to fix what I feel has been there own short-comings, dedicated or not, when they finished installing a new harddrive and OS not too long ago I noticed that all email being generated by an e-comm app which worked fine before the HD and OS now won't even send a piece of mail to anyone.

By all means, I would have a great interest in your tutorial please :blush:

Thank you Scott

Regards

Edited by giganet

Ahhhhh! So... you do seem to have both apache2 and apache13 installed..... and php4 and php5 :blink: Was all that stuff installed by default?

Right, anyway. If you're using apache2 then try adding a line in httpd.conf that looks like

LoadModule php4_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so

....... I think.

It might just be

LoadModule php4_module modules/libphp4.so

Ahhhhh! So... you do seem to have both apache2 and apache13 installed..... and php4 and php5 :blink: Was all that stuff installed by default?

Right, anyway. If you're using apache2 then try adding a line in httpd.conf that looks like

....... I think.

It might just be

I do beleive that apache and php5 was default that I did not realize came in UBUNTU 6.06 package, pretty sure at-least??

I didn't ask that they be installed at any time, only used 'apt-get install php5' to see that php5 already existed.

OK, I'm going to have to get a bite real quick first though, I'm starving like 'Starvin Marvin' ;)

Thank you Mark, I'll be back with you shortly with the results of this test.

Regards

Edited by giganet

....... I think.

It might just be

I just couldn't wait til after lunch!

I did locate '/usr/lib/apache2/modules' containing the file 'libhp4.so'

Then added the line 'LoadModule php4_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so' to 'httpd.conf' in '/etc/apache'.

I looked inside of 'httpd.conf' within '/etc/apache2' and it has one commented out line:

# This is here for backwards compatability reasons and to support
#  installing 3rd party modules directly via apxs2, rather than
#  through the /etc/apache2/mods-{available,enabled} mechanism.
#
#LoadModule mod_placeholder /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_placeholder.so

However when I ran 'sudo apachectl configtest' I get the following:

mailman@giganetwireless:/usr/lib/apache2/modules$ sudo apachectl configtest
Syntax error on line 436 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so into server: /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so: undefined symbol: unixd_config
mailman@giganetwireless:/usr/lib/apache2/modules$

When I run 'mysql -v'

mailman@giganetwireless:/usr/lib/apache2/modules$ php -v
PHP 5.1.2 (cli) (built: Jul 17 2007 17:32:48)
Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006 Zend Technologies

Thank you Mark

Regards

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_6.06

i just followed this in a virtual machine and it works great ... everything works fine without a hitch ... ISPConfig can be installed without any issues at all.

im in almost the same boat ... im trying to get a pc together to be a web server for my own use

Edited by neddamttocs

I just couldn't wait til after lunch!

I did locate '/usr/lib/apache2/modules' containing the file 'libhp4.so'

Then added the line 'LoadModule php4_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so' to 'httpd.conf' in '/etc/apache'.

I looked inside of 'httpd.conf' within '/etc/apache2' and it has one commented out line:

# This is here for backwards compatability reasons and to support
#  installing 3rd party modules directly via apxs2, rather than
#  through the /etc/apache2/mods-{available,enabled} mechanism.
#
#LoadModule mod_placeholder /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_placeholder.so

However when I ran 'sudo apachectl configtest' I get the following:

mailman@giganetwireless:/usr/lib/apache2/modules$ sudo apachectl configtest
Syntax error on line 436 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so into server: /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so: undefined symbol: unixd_config
mailman@giganetwireless:/usr/lib/apache2/modules$

When I run 'mysql -v'

mailman@giganetwireless:/usr/lib/apache2/modules$ php -v
PHP 5.1.2 (cli) (built: Jul 17 2007 17:32:48)
Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006 Zend Technologies

Thank you Mark

Regards

The fact that you have both apache13 and apache2 installed would probably account for the issue you experience trying to start apache via the rc scripts, and why apachectl seems to work. It seems like apachectl is controlling apache13, and perhaps the php4 module has been compiled for apache2. Thus you would be trying to load a module compiled for apache2 in to apache13.

To be honest......................... it looks like the OS install is a bit of a mess to me. It might actually be easier to just start from scratch (again) and tell it not to install all the stuff it seems to have installed by default. Or maybe delete all the installed packages and start again if you can do that.

mailman@giganetwireless:/etc/apache$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
apache2: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
Unable to open logs

hmm ... can u either post you hosts file ... i think i see the problem for this one ...

root@ubuntuserver:/home/admin# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1	   localhost
127.0.1.1	   ubuntuserver
192.168.1.118   scottmadden.homeip.net

::1	 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

see how i have the doman set to an actual ip (in this case from my router) you may have to put the ipp you server is using in there and then define your domain and then apache wont give you that prob?

EDIT: I have another question ... are you just starting to get this server running? if so i have a good walkthrough for setting up a web/email server if you would like it

Hi Scott

I set '/etc/hosts' as follows:

mailman@giganetwireless:/usr/lib/apache2/modules$ cat /etc/hosts
10.0.0.225 bender
#127.0.0.1 nat localhost bender giganetwireless.com
72.169.152.211 nat localhost bender giganetwireless.com

But when I try 'sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart' I still get:

mailman@giganetwireless:/usr/lib/apache2/modules$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
apache2: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 72.169.152.211 for ServerName
Unable to open logs

Likewise I can 'sudo apachectl restart' without a hitch??

What would you suggest?

Thanks

Regards

The fact that you have both apache13 and apache2 installed would probably account for the issue you experience trying to start apache via the rc scripts, and why apachectl seems to work. It seems like apachectl is controlling apache13, and perhaps the php4 module has been compiled for apache2. Thus you would be trying to load a module compiled for apache2 in to apache13.

To be honest......................... it looks like the OS install is a bit of a mess to me. It might actually be easier to just start from scratch (again) and tell it not to install all the stuff it seems to have installed by default. Or maybe delete all the installed packages and start again if you can do that.

Hmmm, what you are saying makes sense to me...

Yes, if all was correct when I followed the tutorial I compiled 'apache2' to use 'php4' as those fall in line with the use of SquirrelMail in the tutorial.

Well, I'm not sure how I would tell it not to install 'apache' OR 'php5' as I think they are part of the install itself?

Is there a way to do that from DVD install- I don't know?

Jeez, really at this point I know I have wasted an inordinate amount of time with this, but wouldn't I come to an acceptable condition if I just 'sudo apt-get remove apache' && 'sudo apt-get remove php5'?

I seems that even when 'apachectl configtest' says apache is broken I can still access the Apache Test page by way of browser.

I must be in the friggin Twilight Zone, I always get these seemingly impossible things happen to me.

Thank you Mark

Regards

Hmmm, what you are saying makes sense to me...

Yes, if all was correct when I followed the tutorial I compiled 'apache2' to use 'php4' as those fall in line with the use of SquirrelMail in the tutorial.

Well, I'm not sure how I would tell it not to install 'apache' OR 'php5' as I think they are part of the install itself?

Is there a way to do that from DVD install- I don't know?

No idea :)

Jeez, really at this point I know I have wasted an inordinate amount of time with this, but wouldn't I come to an acceptable condition if I just 'sudo apt-get remove apache' && 'sudo apt-get remove php5'?

Just personal preference really. You should be able to remove packages that you don't need (which is probably 90% of them!). I prefer to work with the base OS and absolutely no packages what so ever, and then install what I need... when I need it!

I seems that even when 'apachectl configtest' says apache is broken I can still access the Apache Test page by way of browser.

Yep, it seems to me that you've probably got apache2 running and you're configtest'ing apache13, which is trying to load a PHP module compiled for apache2. See what I mean.... it's all looking like a bit of a mess!

I must be in the friggin Twilight Zone, I always get these seemingly impossible things happen to me.

Thank you Mark

Regards

;)

if you want to set up an SSH account again I may be able to nose around and suggest which packages I think should probably be removed / kept and such. Up to you!

Edited by markiemrboo

Hi Scott

I set '/etc/hosts' as follows:

mailman@giganetwireless:/usr/lib/apache2/modules$ cat /etc/hosts
10.0.0.225 bender
#127.0.0.1 nat localhost bender giganetwireless.com
72.169.152.211 nat localhost bender giganetwireless.com

But when I try 'sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart' I still get:

mailman@giganetwireless:/usr/lib/apache2/modules$ sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
apache2: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 72.169.152.211 for ServerName
Unable to open logs

Likewise I can 'sudo apachectl restart' without a hitch??

What would you suggest?

Thanks

Regards

weird .. unfortunately i have not much more ideas ... ill talk with a couple friends and see what they have to say