Windows using 2 gigs of ram at idle

airman

Okay....i come home from work and i see the little "balloon" at the bottom of my screen saying "virtual memory too low". i look in task manager.

i thought it may have been the SMP folding client. so i closed that, and even after closing it i still see this:

post-5662-1187558887_thumb.jpg

i know a simple restart will fix this, but why did it happen in the first place? i downloaded a program called security task manager and it didn't see anything that could potentially be the problem. what gives?

I've seen the same thing before, but never to that extent. I think it happens when other programs call up resources through Windows and Windows never removes them from memory. I could be wrong though.

I started googlin some of those processes, it shows that some of them are related to the smp folding client. But you already shut it down. Could the smp client have caused it?

haha i'm not sure....that's what i'm asking haha :)

Definitely check processes from all users. I don't think the problem child is being shown in that screenshot.

One other thing you might look at (though at 26MB, I'm not sure if this is the case or not). There is a known issue with windows auto update that causes an svchost memory leak. You can fix the problem by disabling the windows auto update service. Not sure that's the problem here, because 26MB is about average, and since in the cases I've seen the svchost memory usage is above 500MB.

nothing changes when checking "show processes from all users". went to class today after starting the smp client and yet again, i'm using 2.6gb of memory at idle. i have turned off automatic updates. i'm pretty sure this is caused by the smp client...mainly because it started the morning after running the smp all night.

if u organize the task manager by mem usage, do u have anything using an insane amount of memory? if there's a memory leak in a program, usually the mem usage would be constantly growing.

If you can make it do it again, then try going to 'View' -> 'Select Columns' in task manager and tick the following:

Peak Memory Usage

Virtual Memory Size

Resize the window so you can see the new columns and look at each running process now and see if any are extraordinarily high... If you do find processes that have a large peak / vm size try killing them and seeing if the memory then gets free'd!

• 2 weeks later...