Q6600 only running at 1.8ghz

Okay guys here's what's going on. I have a q6600, gigabyte p35-ds3r, 2x1gb gskill ddr800.

On first post, i go into the bios to take a look around my new motherboard. Here's what i see on the tweaking page.

DSC02438.jpg

9x multi, 200mhz host frequency, 600mhz memory clock. obviously 9x200 is only 1.8ghz so that's obviously the issue. something's not running fast enough somewhere. 9x is the highest multi the motherboard allows.

here's a screenie of cpuz.

1-1.jpg

still showing 1.8ghz, multi, bus, etc.

what's the problem here? the motherboard says fully compatible with duals/quads. not sure what the issue is. help anyone?

alright after starting to play around with the overclocking functions of this board, i was able to get windows to boot at 3.7ghz. that's was my limit as far as posting. so i backed it down to 3.4 to see how windows would work. works just fine.

however, i pull up cpuz to see the exact readouts. looks good for the first couple of seconds, then the multi changes to 6x, which is only 2.3ghz at a 380fsb. so i look at it again, and it has switched back. it keeps switching back and forth (and the voltage is also changing - from 1.312v to 1.050v. that's going back and forth every 5 secs or so. is cpuz wrong? or is my processor actually getting throttled somehow?

rightclick > my computer > properties does show the 3.42ghz no matter how many times i open it hoping for a different number. i know cpuz is pretty much realtime, which is why i'm trusting that over anything else. what's goin on here?

edit: sisandra's showing a significant increase over when i ran at 2.4ghz last evening.

Yep it's speedstep - noticed my E6750 doing this last night - turned it off in bios and fluctuations stopped.

alright, i'll try that. by the way have a look at my current clocks:

post-5662-1187403572_thumb.jpg

no voltage increase...i was able to get the thing to post at 3.8. hopefully when i get my water back up and running i'll keep it stable at 3.6ghz :)

Yea that is speed step, disable C1E and EIST in the bios

i looked around, and couldn't find any of those options in my bios...i think i've read somewhere about a hidden menu or something for my board. gigabyte p35-ds3r.

i looked around, and couldn't find any of those options in my bios...i think i've read somewhere about a hidden menu or something for my board. gigabyte p35-ds3r.

Its in the Advanced Bios Features, Disable everything from Hyper threading down to Virtulization technology. The two for speed step is CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) and CPU EIST Function...

Edit: Yes the memory settings are hidden, when in the main menu hit Ctrl +F1 and when you go into MB Tweaker you will se them

Edited by road-runner

i was able to get windows to boot at 3.7ghz. that's was my limit as far as posting. so i backed it down to 3.4 to see how windows would work. works just fine.

I hope you're doing a little more testing over "yep, it boots and doesn't lock up."