first build no post no video

rfurman24

I have just put together my first from scratch build. The cpu fan, the video card fan both lights on the motherboard all come on. The hard drive sounds like it is coming on and the dvd drive will open and close and tries to spin up. I have tried reseating everything and nothing gave any problems installing. I have tried using the video card and on board video but get no output to monitor. Everything is new except monitor which is know good. I do not have a speaker to listen for beeps I need suggestions. I called Abit they assured me my components were compatible.

AMD X2 3600 Brisbane

Abit nf-m2

Thermaltake psu 500w

OCZ gold ddr2 800

EVGA 7600gt

So neither the onboard video nor the 7600GT work? You're certain that the monitor didn't die or something, right?

Is it starting and staying on or is it shutting off?

First, try taking everything out of the case and set the mobo on a cardboard box. If that works, it's a grounding issue.

Otherwise, try starting it up with all drives unplugged and a single stick of RAM. Make sure you connect any extra power connectors to your mobo (check the manual) and video card.

Do you have any other computers that you could steal parts from for testing?

Thanks for the super quick reply. Neither video works. The monitor powers on but displays nothing from the computer. Everything is connected as per the manual. I do not see an external power connector on the video card. I will try to remove the mobo from the case asap and see what happens. The system comes on and does not shut off everything seems like it is working just no video I have not left it on for more than a minute or so.

If your computer stays on, I don't think it's a grounding issue. It's still worth taking it out of the case to see if it works though.

When you were assembling everything, you didn't have any trouble putting any parts in, did you? I'm just making sure that nothing is in backwards, like the RAM. :lol: Don't take it as an insult.

What kind of hard drive(s) do you have? (IDE, SATA, etc.)

Make sure you try disconnecting all the drives and using only one stick of RAM.

I will take nothing as an insult. I am just glad to have help. Everything went in great. Cpu dropped right in ram went in with a little push and the clips slid into place. I have an sata drive set on drive number one on the mother board the dvd is set up on master and is in the number two ide slot. I have two 1gb sticks of ram in dimm 3 and 4 which the manual says is ok. I will try to remove one stick and try again and then try the other stick.

I think the RAM is supposed to go in slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 for dual channel. Double check your mobo manual.

EDIT: I was wrong. It's slots 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 for dual channel.

Edited by Bleeble

I took everything out of the case and it works. I do not have any unused standoffs. Any ideas on how to get it to work in the case?

It's possible that one of your cards (video, sound, etc.) wasn't in all the way. When you put everything back in the case, make sure that the cards are going all the way down. At least we're making some progress. :thumbs-up: