GUI programming newbie

GuJuMaN89

ok quick question, and no flaming please, but i want to make a GUI application, or used someones allready make application where i can do this:

have 1 drop down box, and 1 output text box

in the drop down box i would like to beable to select certain things, and once i click on it, have the output box display what is bound to it.

for example, selecting someones name, and it displays the phone number in the output box.

and if possible, have a button where i can add stuff into the database of stuff in the drop down box.

So are you wanting to code it yourself, and are looking for pointers as to where to start? Visual basic would probably be the fastest.

Or are you wanting to see something similar that you plan to hack into working for you? Check sourceforge for almost any address book/password storage/form storage application for useful code.

Is this going to be a complete application in itself? or are you wanting it to be part of something else?

Will the database list require being secured? or would an open text file work?

Approximatly how many entries will be stored?

Also if you dont mind saying what this is going to store, someone might know of a program designed to accomplish what you are wanting to do.

Those requirements are rather vague. Given that you know what you want to do with this, this seems like a great time to learn how to do it yourself. It's not that hard and everything you need is free. Go to the Miscrosft site and download a free copy of Visual Studio Express. They also have tutorials for beginners there that can help you get started. You can also download a free copy of SQL Server Express if you need a database. When you're done, you have something you built yourself!

I would probably use VB and have it pull the information from a "hidden" .txt file that you can edit and add different and more information into. Off the top of my head I wouldnt be able to tell you exactly what the code would be, I havnt programmed in a qhile, but VB seems like it would be the fastest and the easiest way to create it fi you want to do it and have it your "own" and "custom" way

yea i was looking at VB just now, but i have no idea how to program in it.

basicly i would asume i would create a drop down menu, and a output text box.

and in the drop down menu, when i click on something, it queries the file, gets the right line via somesort of line#, and it outputs into the text box.

if its possible, maybe i can just have all the values allready in the application that way i wont need to have an additoinal text file

yeah you can do something like that...however if you needed to change a CD key or add one, you would have to go into the code of the application and add it, then recompile the program into a .exe then start it up again, thats the only reason I would go about having it in a text file...

this is what, for what I gathered, your app should do...

start up

read name.txt

name.txt -> dd_name

click cmd_show

grab current data from dd_name

display in lbl_show

something like that so when you start up the application it will read all the lines of information in your txt file and place it into a different line of the drop down. then you click a button that will then show the data in a label that is somewhere located on the form.

and would u know how to code something like that?

also, im not that concerned about having to go back into the application to add an entry.

i would actually prefer it that way so its a little bit secure. if u could show me the way to do that, that would be great