E6600

Urizen

I'm new to oc'ing, so I thought maybe I'd ask for a few tips. I have the ABIT IN9-32 MAX motherboard and the E6600 cpu, which i've oc'ed from 2.4 to 3.15 without changing any BIOS settings except for the FSB. If I want to go any higher, though, I'll need to change the voltage and stuff, and since this is all new to me, I want to make sure I don't brake anything :)

So what should I do next to achieve higher speeds?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raising the voltage is as small steps as possible or loosening your RAM timings should help you out. 3.15 isnt too shabby for stock voltages. Read the overclocking stickies if you havent already.

Unless you go over voltages of about 1.6 on your CPU and temps of 65C you shouldnt be at risk of ruining your CPU. Also, what are the rest of your specs?

Read this one first, so you know what you are doing and know the terminology

This one might help you out for your specific chip

Finally, I dont know if you have any of the necessary applications, however you can find a good list here

Once you have started that out, you can check to see what other people have done with a similar chip as you have which can be located here.

If you have any questions once you have completed the reading and understand a little bit more than you know now, feel free to ask us just about anything and we will try to help you out.

I have gotten my E6600 up to 3424MHz stable, however I cant push that FSB higher than 1712MHz and keep it stable :(

Speaking of stability, when you say that you have gotten yours to 3150MHz, were you monitoring your temps and checking the stability of your chip through your OC process? If so what programs are you using?

i'll be sure to read up, and i'll probably be back with more questions. thanks for the input, guys.

Speaking of stability, when you say that you have gotten yours to 3150MHz, were you monitoring your temps and checking the stability of your chip through your OC process? If so what programs are you using?

no, i haven't any special stress-testing, just games and stuff. can i stress-test the system while i sleep, or do i need to sit in front of the computer?

the programs i have installed right now are orthos, rivatuner, hardware sensors monitor, cpu-z and throttlewatch. i haven't used them very much, though.

Unless you go over voltages of about 1.6 on your CPU and temps of 65C you shouldnt be at risk of ruining your CPU. Also, what are the rest of your specs?

which specs do you want to know? :newbie:

aafahaabk.jpgaafaiaabk.jpg

Reading some of the stickies will give you a better idea of what you're actually doing. It will really help to understand more about overclocking, that way when you get into trouble, you can figure out what's wrong and keep going.

Also, stability testing is a MUST! Stability testing is what separates real overclockers from people who just "fiddle" until they break something :P With the proper testing, you can find the absolute max speed for your processor while still being perfectly stable (no crashes or blue screens, ever).

Also, the temp listing in your posted pic is very good, but I'm betting that's an idle temp. You should check your temps while running a stress test like OCCT or Orthos, because "load" temps are what really matter. If your load temps are good, you should start bumping your core voltage up by a little bit at a time to improve your OC.

i've tried to read up, but i'm not sure i got much wiser. anyway, i ran orthos, and pretty soon got into trouble. this is what it told me:

eafbfaabk.jpg

can someone please decipher this for me?

i did a search for stress.txt, but it came up blank, so i don't know what that's about.

i've tried to read up, but i'm not sure i got much wiser. anyway, i ran orthos, and pretty soon got into trouble. this is what it told me:

can someone please decipher this for me?

i did a search for stress.txt, but it came up blank, so i don't know what that's about.

That means your OC is unstable. ;) Actually, failing after a minute or two means it's very unstable. You probably need to increase voltages to make it stable. Which voltages? Check the stickies. :P

Nah, I'll at least be a little helpful. Your chipset and CPU voltages probably need increasing.

Edited by Bleeble

Fail after 2 minutes?

See? Your OC would have given you TONS of problems with those settings. It's a very good thing you tested it :)

The first thing to do is to bump your chipset voltage up a tad, and then up the cpu (vCore) voltage up in small increments until you can pass the test for at least a few hours. Once you can do that, you know you're on the right track.

now i've upped the "cpu core voltage" to 1.4000 and the "cpu vtt voltage" to 1.30. going to run orthos again now and see if things have improved.

even though there are plenty of resources out there that detail every aspect of oc'ing, what a newbie really needs is someone to hold his hand when he's doing it :) so thanks for doing just that, guys :)

now i've upped the "cpu core voltage" to 1.4000 and the "cpu vtt voltage" to 1.30. going to run orthos again now and see if things have improved.

even though there are plenty of resources out there that detail every aspect of oc'ing, what a newbie really needs is someone to hold his hand when he's doing it :) so thanks for doing just that, guys :)

We're happy to help out, but we're not going to go through and tell you every single setting you need to change (at least I won't). As long as you do your own research and experimentation with your system, we'll answer your questions. Just don't do what most newbies do and demand a list of settings for your OC, then get mad at us if it doesn't work. Or worse, ask for advice, ignore it, then blame us when your computer starts on fire. :rolleyes:

Just so you know, the safe voltage limit for your CPU is 1.5V. You can go higher, but I wouldn't recommend it until you're more experienced. As long as you keep your temperatures below 65C, you should be fine. Below 60C is ideal.

Edited by Bleeble

To elaborate a bit on what Bleeble said:

A lot of new users come here and ask what settings they should use as if there's some magic code that will get the best out of any system. In reality, every system is different and what works for one person may not work for the next. For this reason, the best approach is to take the time to really understand what the settings do and how it affects your OC. By doing that, you can find the settings that work best for your components.

Good luck, and let us know how the newest settings work out! Just be sure to keep an eye on your load temps (during tests) as you raise your cpu voltage.