Phased upgrade

Kash

Just looked at some reviews for the OCZ PSU and saw that it has blue LEDs (don't know why I didn't notice that in the Newegg pictures). I don't want a flashy PSU (used to have one, didn't help when I wanted to go to sleep).

So I have to get a different power supply. I've read the PSU FAQ, so I know what the good brands are. Anyone have any good suggestions for a PSU around the same price as the OCZ I picked out?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a OCZ GameXStream 600W and its really nice and there are no lights inside of it other than the blue 120mm fan, which is extremely quiet, cant even hear it, the only thing that I can hear inside my case is that HIS X1950PRO cooler, and even that is very quiet :)

How much can you pick up a Corsair HX for? I think they are pretty decent and genuinely quiet, more so as they are based on the Seasonic M12.

:withstupid: ZZF has a 520W for $105. Newegg has the same for $115 after a $10 MIR. There's a 620W on Newegg for $140 after $30 MIR. ZZF has the 620 for $117 after $30 MIR.

I'm not particularly fond of the blue PSU fan either. The only reason I haven't swapped it for a Yate Loon is that I don't want to void the warranty since I don't have the money to replace it (or my computer) if it dies. I think it makes too much noise. It's the loudest fan in my system (except the Panaflo M1A when I put it at 12V). Then again, it sits in a system with silent Yate Loons and almost silent Yate Loons on a fan controller. :D

Edited by Bleeble

yeah I dont notice it at all, its really quiet, like I had said before, but the only reason that I dont see it is because of how my case is setup, plust there are 3 other 120mm blue led fans in my case, not that I wanted them as blue but 2 came with the case and the other I had laying around, so I didnt have to spend any more money on the build, I had already spent a pretty penny since I did it all at once :)

I'm sure a 120mm fan is quiet (at least quieter than the two 80mm fans in my current PSU), but the fact is that I don't want a PSU that emits light. I like having my case being dark, especially at night.

So I looked at the Corsair PSU and the ZZF price looks good. However, I have a question. Is 520W going to be enough if I ever decide to throw in another video card later on? The reason I liked the OCZ was because it had 600W, which I figure is enough for running Crossfire/SLi. I know, a quality PSU is more likely to do well under load, but I don't want to end up having to upgrade my PSU again because 520W wasn't enough for two cards (plus, I'm wary to trust a sticker that says SLi capable)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have the funds to do this upgrade today. Looks like I'm gonna go with the X1950Pro since it's cheaper than the 7900GS. I also wanted to get an opinion on my power supply question in the above post.

Finally have the funds to do this upgrade today. Looks like I'm gonna go with the X1950Pro since it's cheaper than the 7900GS. I also wanted to get an opinion on my power supply question in the above post.

It almost always makes more sense to sell your existing card and get a more powerful single card than it does to go SLI/Crossfire. Regardless, with the 600W GameXStream at only $90 (after MIR) and the 620W HX at $125 (after MIR), I'd just go with the GameXStream unless you really want modular cabling.

Darnit, I already ordered the Corsair PSU. It's all good, I got it for $105 at ZZF, which isn't a bad deal. Plus, I can expect to hang onto this thing for a while. :D

And I'm not going to sell my current card because once I'm done upgrading, I can use the leftover parts to finally build that HTPC I've been meaning to put together since June

Darnit, I already ordered the Corsair PSU. It's all good, I got it for $105 at ZZF, which isn't a bad deal. Plus, I can expect to hang onto this thing for a while. :D

And I'm not going to sell my current card because once I'm done upgrading, I can use the leftover parts to finally build that HTPC I've been meaning to put together since June

I didn't mean your X800, I meant sell your X1950 when you decide it's time to upgrade in the future. Your choice though. ;) If you run two X1950's, I think that PSU should be able to handle it just fine, as long as your load is balanced. If you try to run two 8800's or 2900's (or whatever is coming out next), you'll probably need a beefier PSU.

Oh gotcha. I think it'll be a while till my next GPU upgrade. I held onto my X800 for quite a while. I would keep using it if it weren't for Bioshock. Demo nearly killed my computer :(