Phased upgrade

Kash

I'm looking to upgrade my computer, but I want to do it over a month or two (can't really afford to plop down a big chunk of change at one time). I'm going to start with a video card and power supply (which I will carry over to the new system) and then upgrade the motherboard/processor/RAM over the next couple of weeks.

Here is what I'm looking at for an immediate upgrade:

BFG Tech GeForce 7900GS 256MB = $165.99

OCZ GameXStream 600W Power Supply = $109.99

I only game occasionally, and with law school coming up next year, any serious gaming will be going out the window. So the 7900GS should hold me over for quite some time. I don't care about DirectX 10, so don't bother suggesting a 8xxx or HD 2xxx series card (unless their midrange cards somehow managed to out-perform the 7900GS).

Let me know if this looks good or if there are any better/cheaper alternatives. Thanks :thumbs-up:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with the power supply good choice

how about this card though EVGA 7900GS = 149.99 == edit: theres a 20 dollar MIR bringing it down to 129.99

i mean the bfg one is nice but imo evga has a better rep right now for vcards ... just putting that out there

Edited by neddamttocs

The GameXStream PSUs are cheaper over at ZZF with free shipping to boot :)(600W $90 after rebate)

Also, at that price point I still think the x1950Pro is the better buy. The HIS can be had for about $115 after rebate from the egg, and should beat a 7900GS pretty soundly. (7900GS vs. 1950Pro)

Thanks for the ZZF tip :D

As for the X1950Pro, I was originally going to get that but then I saw a bunch of reviews where the 7900GS came out on top in some benchmarks/games by several FPS. Doing a 7900GS vs X1950Pro Google search came up with the following results:

VR-Zone

TechSpot

XbitLabs

TechReport

The above are just a handful of the many I found, and most, if not all, of them show the 7900GS either matching or beating the X1950Pro.

Thanks for the ZZF tip :D

As for the X1950Pro, I was originally going to get that but then I saw a bunch of reviews where the 7900GS came out on top in some benchmarks/games by several FPS. Doing a 7900GS vs X1950Pro Google search came up with the following results:

VR-Zone

TechSpot

XbitLabs

TechReport

The above are just a handful of the many I found, and most, if not all, of them show the 7900GS either matching or beating the X1950Pro.

Take a look at the individual games in the VGA Charts Verran linked to, not just the overall. I'd base your choice on which type of games you're more likely to play. I know that nvidia used to be better for OpenGL games while ATI had better visual quality, but I don't know if that's still the case.

Edited by Bleeble

I just upgraded to a HIS X1950 PRO 512Mb from a 9200, the change was amazing, I love the new card, the temps the card are around 35-40*C stock which is running at 587MHz core and 770MHz for the mem clock speed...cant beat that :)

thought that I would put my 2 cents in

Upgrading from a 9200 to a X1950Pro is a much bigger change than going from an X800GTO to a X1950Pro ;)

Bleeble, I did take a look at the games and found that the 7900GS did better in games like COD2 and Quake 4, the type of games I play. None of them really tested RTS games (unless I overlooked it), which is another genre I play often, but I'm not too worried since they already look pretty good on my X800GTO.

Upgrading from a 9200 to a X1950Pro is a much bigger change than going from an X800GTO to a X1950Pro ;)

Bleeble, I did take a look at the games and found that the 7900GS did better in games like COD2 and Quake 4, the type of games I play. None of them really tested RTS games (unless I overlooked it), which is another genre I play often, but I'm not too worried since they already look pretty good on my X800GTO.

Now the only problem is trying to figure out what makes the games in the VGA charts similar to other games you'll be playing. :lol: The answer is floating around in my head, but it's just out of reach. :( Hopefully someone else can be a bit more helpful. There's more to it than the DirectX/OpenGL thing and eye candy levels, but I can't remember what exactly it might be...

I was going over the benchmarks again and it seems as though the differences are probably not going to be noticeable. So I guess I'll just go with the one that's cheaper.

I'll take a look at that HIS and other X1950Pros and compare prices with the 7900GS models. If anybody has any good deals, feel free to let me know :D