cpu temp change.

Perscitus

I was using a E6420 and getting idle 29c, load 34c. I swapped in a E6750, my new temps are idle 36c, load 44c. I check the load while playing a game using the program speedfan. I have a Tuniq 120 hsf, it's mounted to blow the air up out the case as it sits directly below the 200mm roof fan. I'm wondering if it's a normal increase in temperature or if I might have made some error installing, what kind of temps do any of you with the E6750 get? Any feedback on it would be appreciated.

EDIT: here are my full specs

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

GeIL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB

Tuniq Tower 120

Samsung SH-S183L

Antec Nine Hundred

Edited by Perscitus

What thermal paste are you using? Most thermal pastes take time to burn-in and temps lower gradually over the next week or so. Has there been a change in ambient temperature?

The IHS on the e6750 could be a bit concave. Or, how much voltage does the e6750 use vs the other chip? More voltage and higher speeds will make temps rise.

How would I be able to tell if it's due to the cpu being concave? As far as voltages go, I didn't see what voltage the other cpu was running at, but I didn't change the voltages at all from the original BIOS setup. On the package they both have 1.35V as max for voltage.

What thermal paste are you using? Most thermal pastes take time to burn-in and temps lower gradually over the next week or so. Has there been a change in ambient temperature?

I used the thermal paste that came with the Tuniq 120 in both cases and the temperatures I listed are both from the first 24 hours of first running the cpus. Now that you mention it, there was a change for both cpus, the e6420 started with an ambient temp of 30c which went to 29c after a couple days. The e6750 was 36c when ambient but is now 34c when ambient.

Is there anyone else with a e6750 that has there temps that I can compare with mine. I'm trying to make the cpu as cool as possible before I begin overclocking it.

Also I forgot to put room temperature, my room is between 23-26c.

You can tell if the IHS is concave by taking off the heatsink. If there's a bunch of thermal paste in the middle but little or none closer to the edges, it's concave. If there's little or no thermal paste in the center and more near the edges, then your IHS is convex. Convex isn't a bad thing because the actual CPU die is right in the center and that's the place getting the best contact. In fact, quite a few people have been bowing their waterblocks for this very reason.

Another easy way to tell is to take the CPU out and hold something with a flat edge against the IHS. A new razor blade or metal ruler works well.

I used the thermal paste that came with the Tuniq 120 in both cases and the temperatures I listed are both from the first 24 hours of first running the cpus. Now that you mention it, there was a change for both cpus, the e6420 started with an ambient temp of 30c which went to 29c after a couple days. The e6750 was 36c when ambient but is now 34c when ambient.

Is there anyone else with a e6750 that has there temps that I can compare with mine. I'm trying to make the cpu as cool as possible before I begin overclocking it.

Also I forgot to put room temperature, my room is between 23-26c.

Ambient temperature = room temperature. :) I think you mean idle. Regardless, you'll probably see temps lower 2-3C over after burn-in.

The thermal paste that comes with the TT should be half-decent, but Arctic Silver 5 is currently the best.

The temperatures for a stock E6750 should be similar to an E6600, maybe a little higher.

What is the temp for the E6600?

After lapping my IHS, my temps are 34-59C (ambient 24C). That's with watercooling, 3.6GHz @ 1.45V.

Six months ago, in a different case, before lapping the IHS, and with an Ultra-120 and 120mm Panaflo M1A, my temps were 45-71C (ambient 26). 3.6GHz @ 1.44V.

At stock speeds and voltages I'm currently idling at 29C. I think the ambient is around 20C. It's not actually idling because I'm messing around and have stuff running in the background (generally less than 10% CPU usage).

You can see what temps others are getting using this wonderful new site I found called Google. :P