Better than artic silver?

nsillej

Well I just came across this today. There are 3 reviews on it however they are not in English. However there are numbers i can read. It is showing this stuff is like 2-3* cooler than AS5 but 1 of reviews looks like it says it didn't work at all (maybe faulty instillation) What do you guys think?

I think it's bogus.

Only one way to find out is to try it.

Of course one doesn't know if those that say it out-perfoms AS5 applied the AS5 correctly.

Also, it's a one-shot deal..........can set up many rigs with a tube of Arctic Silver.

Well you can trim it, so that means you can cut it. I'd like to know how it works if you were to cut a little square away and put on the center like you would AS5.

Regardless, AS5 will still last much longer.

I read a review on this not too long ago. From memory, here are the pros and cons:

Pros: easy to apply and remove (if not liquified)

cons:

cost compared to as5

setting temperature

messy cleanup once applied

Now, from the review, I remember reading that there is a temperature that you basically have to heat the processor up to in order to set this stuff into place. The people who demo'ed the product couldn't get their AMD up high enough to liquidize and set the metal sheet. i believe they used an AMD 3500 and couldn't get it to melt at 60-65C (which was the max temp they were willing to take the processor). After all this, they noticed it actually performed worse than AS5 as far as temperatures.

Edited by jack_of_java

It's liquid metal, it'll work better then AS5 but you'll loose in the fact you can only use it so many times due to it being a cutable pad. They would be good for video card GPUs and NB dies... dunno about bigger CPU's like the C2D

It's liquid metal, it'll work better then AS5 but you'll loose in the fact you can only use it so many times due to it being a cutable pad. They would be good for video card GPUs and NB dies... dunno about bigger CPU's like the C2D

Yeah it could potentially work better...if you risked getting your CPU hot enough to actually melt the pad. Since I couldn't find the actual melting temp on the product website, I looked at this review. The thing starts melting at around 67c. I definitely wouldn't use that crap with a C2D. I wouldn't want to risk pushing it close to 70c just to set the TIM when some AS5 would do just as well. Plus this isn't even necessary with a C2D. It's not like they run hot at all.

For graphics cards this could be good but why risk it? The reviews linked on the website showed a marginal(2-4c) drop in temps. I could drop the temp of my 7600GT 2-4c just by putting one of my Masscool 80's closer to it and the risk to my 7600 is 0. Hell you could probably get that same drop in temps by improving the air flow inside your case.

Cool in theory...but it kinda sucks in practice.

Edit:

just buy a tube of liquid metal.

Lol, might as well just crack open a thermometer and put a few drops of mercury on your cpu die. I think it would be interesting to see someone test that out.

Edited by iKillSteal

Cool in theory...but it kinda sucks in practice.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but people said the exact same thing about heatpipes a few years ago. ;)

Maybe this idea will improve in time, but I'll stick with AS5/ASC for now.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but people said the exact same thing about heatpipes a few years ago. ;)

Maybe this idea will improve in time, but I'll stick with AS5/ASC for now.

Heat pipes were just a good idea from the beginning. Slap some pipes in a HS, mounts a fan or two, install and there you go. Increased heat transfer to the fins. Simple as that. Doesn't say in any installation manual to let your CPU approach dangerous, possibly lethal temps to break in the heatpipes for maximum effectiveness.

It's a sound idea but the current execution of the idea is lacking. I should have probably said it that way instead, eh?